Tonight I attempted, for I think the first time, that old trick of going to 2 shows in different places in one night. First I went to Fort Reno, which I hadn't been to at all last summer but went a few times the 2 summers before that, so I'm glad I got to at least one show this year. There's always at least one or two bands I wanna see there every summer. I went to see the new Dischord band Medications, who are basically 2/3rds of Faraquet, who I liked a lot and who they sound more or less just like (the 2 mp3s on their website happen to be my favorite songs from their album and EP respectively, so consider that a reccomendation). I'm working on a review of their album, so I won't say too much about them, but they were pretty good, although their drummer sometimes got a little caught up in the intricacies of their mathy rhythms and missed cues or almost messed up the song. They were opening for Mary Timony, and Devin Ocampo, the guitarist/singer from Medications is her drummer on her current album and tour. I didn't like her much last time I saw her and she wore that damn kittie mask, but I was kinda looking forward to seeing Devin drum with her, since I loved his drumming on the 2nd Smart Went Crazy album. But I decided to get out of there and get across town to meet my friend Mike and see another show.

Mike and I went down to the Black Cat's 'backstage' downstairs bar to see Grand Buffet, who were great as always, although we missed their first couple songs and they didn't play very long, since they were opening. But they did the non-LP favorite "Treehouse" and some other good ones. A lot of their shows have this odd rhythm where they play a 2-minute song and then talk for 4 minutes at a time between songs. Mike is gonna be in Baltimore tomorrow night so we might end up going to see GB again at the Ottobar to get a full set. They're touring with Magnolia Electric Co., who we only stuck around for the first few songs of. It's kind of an odd match, Grand Buffet opening for some country rock played by a Luke Wilson/Scott Bakula-looking guy, but they always seem to end up touring with mismatched bands.

Labels: , ,

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment