TV Diary

1. Puppy Bowl II
We caught this while channel surfing last night, and, oh my god. Apparently Animal Planet airs this opposite the Super Bowl, which consists of a bunch of little puppies cavorting around a room made up to look like a footbal field. For 3 hours. I kind of admire what a ridiculous, amazingly simple idea it is. It's not even like a competitive tournament where the dogs race or show off weird skills. They just play around with no human inolvement. For 3 hours. And it's bizarrely watchable. And I won't even get into the Kitty Halftime Show. Oh my god. You can even buy it on DVD.

2. American Idol
Every season, I try to get into watching this regularly, but end up only catching a couple of episodes. So far this season I've been better about it, though, mainly because I watch a lot more network prime time lately, and now live with someone who'll watch it with me. But I'm glad that this week is the end of the auditions phase, because it's easily my least favorite part of the show and I kind of fail to see why it's so popular. I like seeing the people who can actually sing and the excitement of them getting to go to Hollywood, but for every one of those, there's 10 that suck and don't know it, or worse, suck and know it and audition anyway. And that's just the ones they show. It makes me feel kind of bad for the judges to comprehend how many people they have to listen to. I don't know if the early seasons were much different, but it makes me wonder if the William Hung phenomenon turned the auditions into a Gong Show atmosphere with people with weird non-singing talents or no talent just trying to get on TV for a minute. And it amazes me that they did some 2-hour episodes of that shit. I couldn't get through it all, it was greuling. I don't know if I'm rooting for anyone yet, but I'm looking forward to moving onto the finalist phase.

3. The War At Home
Has this been cancelled yet? I was kind of enthused about Michael Rapaport starring in his own series, because he's awesome, but this is pretty lame. Not only does it follow in a long line of foul-mouthed/transgressive FOX shows about trailer trash trying to recapture the lightening in a bottle that was Married With Children, but it's almost exactly like one of those previous shows, Titus, right down to the father/husband lead character addressing the camera in weird little scenes of him standing alone in a room somewhere that are spliced between shots of him interacting with other characters.

Labels: , ,

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

We saw something similar earlier in the day with pussies running thru what seemed to be some sort of Pussy Gladiators stadium... It was pusstastic! -Laundro
 
Post a Comment