TV Diary

1. Last Comic Standing
This is about the only Americon Idol-style contest/reality show that I've gotten hooked on even remotely as much as AI, which make sense since comedy is the only other thing I take as seriously as music. It's a little less involving, partly because it feels a lot more low stakes, considering that no LCS winner is really that famous even by the modest standards of stand-up comics. Some pretty funny people were eliminated early on, but I'm more or less happy with how the competition has shaped up so far. I was mad about Roz getting into the top 5, because her delivery was the same static shouting for every joke, and the jokes themselves weren't that funny. I feel bad for Gabriel Iglesias, he really could've gone farther if he hadn't recklessly broken the no-phones/sidekicks rules. Michelle was good, although I never liked her as much as J.G. did. Chris Porter was great on some of the earlier challenges, especially the Friars' Club roast, but his stand-up is kind of spotty. Ty Barnett has won me over, he's pretty good, but I think at this point I'm rooting for Josh Blue. He's got cerebral palsy, but there's no way he would've gotten this far on a pity vote, and his material is so fucking razor sharp. I was a little skeptical early on, but right now I really believe he's the funniest person left.

2. It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
This show would be completely terrible even without the risible ad campaign that repeatedly compares it to Seinfeld. Unless they just mean the later episodes with the stupid 'zany' Kramer/Newman subplots, then maybe it's apt. This show is basically only funny if you like that kind of obnoxious anti-PC humor, real "oh my god, they just said 'retard'!" type shit. It's fitting that Danny DeVito apparently liked this show so much that he joined the cast for the 2nd season, since most of the movies he's directed have been really hacky 'dark' comedies.

3. 8 Simple Rules
This is the show that John Ritter starred in for a year before passing away, and kept going without him for a couple seasons after that. Along with Grounded For Life, I never really gave it a chance when it was on the air, but now that I'm bored and unemployed I've been watching both in reruns pretty regularly. I watched most of the Ritter-less seasons before cycling back to the first season with him recently, and although he's alright I think the show was actually better later without him, after adding James Garner and David Spade, who have unexpectedly great comic chemistry. I haven't seen any of the immediate post-Ritter episodes yet, though, so I don't know how they handle that.

4. Entourage
This season has been pretty good so far, although it feels a little slower since they're doing twice as many episodes this time so they can kinda work their way through the plots. The couple episodes with Herc from The Wire were pretty good, although his character was pretty annoying, and it seemed like they resolved his arc really abruptly, like he was just there one day and gone the next.

Labels:

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment