Sloan - "Down In The Basement" (mp3)

This week I review Parallel Play in the City Paper. It's weird to get a new record from them so soon after spending a year obsessing over and praising Never Hear The End Of It and revisiting their back catalog, like I'm primed for it but not quite ready to get excited or to have anticipated it at all. But besides being a deliberately minor work, their shortest album yet, it's pretty enjoyable. I still can't quite express, though I try in the review, exactly why I love "Down In The Basement" so much, but it really hits me in the gut as this celebration of being able to have both a stable family life and total musical freedom and autonomy, perhaps the two things I'm currently most concerned with achieving and maintaining at this point in my life.

Usher - "Something Special" (mp3)

Also reviewed Here I Stand in the same issue, and the more I listen to it, the more I wonder if this is the only song I really really like. There is no good explanation as to why "Dat Girl Right There" isn't on this release.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment