Monthly Report: July Singles

1. Jeremih - "Imma Star (Everywhere We Are)"
One of the most fun moments in pop music is when a presumed one hit wonder comes out of nowhere with something you like better than what they got their foot in the door with, and you have to totally reconsider them. This would just be another song with a crazy beat and subpar vocals if that fucking amazing outro didn't come in and change everything. But even his vocals, which I didn’t like at all at first, are growing on me. It helps if I just pretend it’s Slim from 112.

2. The Clipse f/ Pharrell Williams - "I'm Good"
I just said something other day about how “What Happened To That Boy” is now 6 or 7 years old, and really that was the last time I gave a shit about a Clipse song – I’ve always been mystified by all the hype they got for their thoroughly average mixtape material, and once the Neptunes’ batting average fell off inevitably their records got way worse, too. Still, Pharrell makes at least one beat every year or so that I find kind of infectious, like say Twista’s “Lavish,” and this caught me off-guard by being really fun and catchy, even if they sound more anonymous than ever and the “you can find me in the” chorus always feels like it’s going to lead into “In Da Club.”

3. Pink - "Please Don't Leave Me"
This has been out forever and I keep meaning to include it in here, but have been kinda underrating it since there are other songs on the album I like more, but it’s still really good.

4. Pearl Jam - "The Fixer"
"Worldwide Suicide" felt like a comeback by default, simply for the fact that it was the first time in ages that Pearl Jam released an uptempo song as a lead single, instead of almost daring radio to play something slow and ponderous. I like this song more, though, as well as probably more than the similarly fast and simple one they played on the Tonight Show a while back. I really like the verse melody with that big goofy nooooote Vedder uses as a hook and that weird segue into the bridge. It's pretty short for them, and might feel minor in the context of the album once it comes out, but for now this is a really pleasant surprise, and kind of raises my expectations for a band that I love but who’ve been on a steep downward slide with their last couple albums.

5. Chickenfoot - "Oh Yeah"
I’m not joking about this. I think.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment