The children's albums that They Might Be Giants have been making in the last few years, have pretty much become more enjoyable than their 'regular' albums at this point. So my anticipation for the new Here Comes Science was pretty high, because I like the idea of them doing actual researched scientifically accurate songs, my wife is a scientist and I'm curious to hear what she thinks, and because, well, I'm a father now, so I might actually be able to use this record to teach some stuff to the little dude at some point. Unfortunately, Here Comes Science, as impressive as it is in packing information into almost every lyric, isn't really hitting my pleasure centers as far as actual songs and hooks as much as last year's Here Come The 123s, so I might be filing it away for a while until James is old enough to understand it.

Far and away, the highlight of the album is "Why Does The Sun Really Shine?", the hilarious fact-checked new answer song to their longtime live staple "Why Does The Sun Shine?" that I saw them play last year, so in a way it's both great to finally have that on record but disappointing that there's nothing quite as fun. Maybe if I'd bought a physical copy with the DVD I'd like that? "The Bloodmobile" is pretty hilarious, though, and I could see "Electric Car" getting stuck in my head. Maybe this stuff is more fun live -- presumably I'll get to find out sometime since I now have a reason to go to one of their family-oriented shows.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment