TV Diary

a) "Worst Cooks In America"
I like the premise of this show, but I think I'm mainly into seeing incompetent cooks make totally weird disgusting dishes, like they did in the first episode, than them being taught how to make good food, which is what the rest of the show looks to be about, so I think I've already gotten as much entertainment value as I'm ever going to get out of this.

b) "Men Of A Certain Age"
A few episodes in, I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about this show, it being one of those dramedies that's neither really funny or particularly emotionally affecting. But I like all 3 leads, Andre Braugher especially, and I feel like they're in a good groove and that the more they reveal about the characters, the more entertaining each turn they take becomes. Also, I'm a sucker for any show that uses "Willin'" by Little Feat in a scene.

c) "The Forgotten"
I like the premise of this show, a volunteer organization of civilians investigating unsolved murders instead of the usual cop show, and for some weird reason I'm rooting for Christian Slater to pull off the move to TV in his second vehicle in two seasons. But ultimately it's still got the cookie cutter procedural feel that puts me to sleep, and I've only really gotten through one of the three or four episodes I attempted to watch.

d) "Parks & Recreation"
I finally gave this show a second chance, after hearing so much about how it's improved since the first season, and it is growing on me a little bit. I'm still not into those dry "Office"-style comedic rhythms, though, and it's kind of depressing that even in a show like this with a female-led ensemble cast, Rashida Jones and to a lesser extent Aubrey Plaza generally get stuck doing the mockumentary sitcom version of standing around and looking pretty, which basically amounts to eye-rolling reaction shots to male characters who get funny things to do and say. They are very good at looking pretty, though.

e) "Top Gear"
Apparently this show has been on the BBC for decades and is hugely popular, but I'd never even heard of it until my brother raved about it and I saw an episode at his place. But that race to the north pole they did was awesome and hilarious, easily one of the most entertaining things I've seen on TV in a while.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment