Movie Diary

a) Tyson
Even though Mike Tyson is an almost a mythic figure to people of my generation, I've never really given the guy much thought or really followed his ups and downs particularly closely. So this movie was an interesting ride for me. And though I thought some of the artsy/contemplative direction felt a little forced, and that that and Tyson narrating his own story were the only things separating it from a really good episode of A&E Biography, the latter choice really made the movie something special. I mean the guy is just fascinating to listen to, especially now as he's getting older, still has that weird voice and speech impediment and flair for flowery word choices, and it's clear he's kind of thought about his own life as much as anyone else by now.

b) Rachel Getting Married
Generally speaking, movies that end up functioning primarily as showcases for 'gritty' roles that get glamorous actresses Oscar buzz are usually shit, so I don't know if I was expecting much from this. But it was really really good, and one of the few times a handheld/doc-style movie really immersed me to the point that sometimes I felt like I was just watching someone's wedding videos. Sometimes the plot and the Hathaway performance were the least interesting things about it, though she was good, a lot of times I just enjoyed the atmosphere and how lived-in and natural it all felt.

c) Lower Learning
This is the kind of flick that you watch on cable for a few minutes expecting the worst -- it was barely in theaters and its biggest stars are Jason Biggs and Eva Longoria -- but it hooked me and I have to say it was pretty funny. It's a really dark satire about public schools, and though a lot of the jokes are crude, there's an element of it that's total over-the-top farce and there's a pretty good supporting cast of mostly underrated funny people.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment