The 2010 Remix Report Card, Vol. 7

"All White Everything (Remix)" by Young Jeezy featuring Yo Gotti
This is already kind of irrelevant since he's since released the superior "Jizzle," but for a second this was Jeezy's new single and for a nanosecond there was some kind of perceived controversy because apparently Yo Gotti invented rapping about the color white or something and people thought Jeezy was jacking his slang. So this remix is I guess their way of squashing that talk, which is cool, but a not great rapper tacking a verse onto a not great song is nothing to write home about.
Best Verse: n/a
Overall Grade: C+

"Champagne Life (Remix)" by Ne-Yo featuring Rick Ross
Ne-Yo's other new single "Beautiful Monster" is crap for a whole other set of reasons, but "Champagne Life" is crap because it kind of sounds like one of the anonymous hooks he does on rap singles. In fact the first time I heard it I was like, this had to be his back up to pitch to Rick Ross if he didn't take "Super High," so it's appropriate that Ross himself remixed it. Even as a Rick Ross R&B joint it's not very good, though, let alone compared to the usual high standards of Ne-Yo's solo records.
Best Verse: n/a
Overall Grade: C

"Hard In The Paint (Remix)" by Waka Flocka Flame featuring Ciara
In the last edition of RRC, I wrote about the "Hard In The Paint" remix with Gucci, but now there's one with Ciara as part of her attempt to return to her crunk 'roots.' It's kind of dope, against my expectations.
Best Verse: n/a
Overall Grade: B

"Lose My Mind (Remix)" by Young Jeezy featuring Drake
"Lose My Mind" is easily my favorite straight up rap hit of the last few months, and I kept wondering why they hadn't dropped a remix yet. So I was pretty horrified by the news that Ontario Aubrey got a verse on this shit. Seriously, how do you swap out a Plies verse for Drake? How does that even happen?
Best Verse: n/a
Overall Grade: F

"My First Kiss (Remix)" by 3OH!3 featuring Gucci Mane and Ke$ha
Fresh off the fuckin' Travie McCoy remix, doing this reaffirms that Gucci is in full on crossover aspiration mode, rapping on any damn thing that will get him a little closer to pop radio. He kinda kicks a nice fast flow, though, makes the best of it all things considered.
Best Verse: n/a
Overall Grade: C

"Stop The Party (Remix)" by Busta Rhymes featuring T.I., Cam'ron, Ghostface Killah, DMX and Swizz Beatz
In a repeat of the "Touch It" ordeal from a few years ago, Busta did a clunky underperforming single with Swizz Beatz, and is now trying to give it new life with an overstuffed remix. And again, they throw a bone to DMX. Like the "All I Do Is Win" remix, this is only one southerner away from being an all-NYC posse cut and I kinda wish they'd kept that theme, even though Tip is dope on this. I'd say that all the sound effects and shit they stop the beat for mess up the momentum, but it's a halting, awkward song no matter what.
Best Verse: T.I.
Overall Grade: D

"Super High (Sativa Remix)" by Rick Ross featuring Wiz Khalifa, Curren$y and Ne-Yo
It's not often I give Ross props but I have to say it's rare that you get a big mainstream artist actually using an official remix for his single as a way to kinda give shine to some cats on the come up that they aren't already affiliated with or kind of in the same lane as, it kinda makes Ross seem more up on things that he thought to hook up with these guys. I still don't really get Wiz or Curren$y, they always seem kinda bland and boring to me, or maybe they're just so high that they're too relaxed to make exciting music? Still, I like the idea of this remix and it fits the vibe of this song.
Best Verse: Wiz Khalifa
Overall Grade: B+
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment