Monthly Report: October Singles



1. Beyoncé - "Countdown"
I already gave this a 10 on Singles Jukebox and have basically just been patiently waiting for it to actually become an official single before I made it #1 in this space. Really incredible song that I've listened to so much lately that I hope I don't make myself sick of it. Those 32nd note hi-hats are at the moment the element I am boggling at the most.

2. Sara Bareilles - "Gonna Get Over You"
Oddly while the "Countdown" video I'm kind of ambivalent about was making the internet go nuts, this was the adorable dance video that was making me fall in love with a song. Bareilles is kind of MOR and embarrassing both for musical taste and for a celebrity crush but she is kind of adorable to me and I have to say I pretty much wholeheartedly love 4 of the 5 songs she's released as singles at this point.

3. Brianna - "Marilyn Monroe"
I've been thinking lately about how I've generally enjoyed music by almost every mainstream female rapper through the history of hip hop up until the current Minaj/Kreayshawn/etc. era, so it was fun to hear this song on the radio and feel genuinely excited and curious about who it was by. Apparently Brianna is from Miami but for some reason her song seems to be blowing up on D.C. radio the most, kinda hoping it hits big.

4. Mary J. Blige - "25/8"
Remind me sometime in the future to talk about my fixation with songs that fantasize about adding more time to our existing clocks and calenders (which also includes "Eight Days A Week" and Ciara's "Speechless").

5. AfroJack f/ Eva Simons - "Take Over Control"
Every time I hear this on the radio, I think "this should've been the new Rihanna single," the same way people were saying that about "Whip My Hair" a couple years ago. Also, this makes I guess the first month of singles I've done where the vocals are 100% performed by women.

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment