Monthly Report: August 2012 Singles
















1. Linkin Park - "Burn It Down"
The last album had "Waiting For The End," which may ultimately become my favorite Linkin Park jam of all time, but this is really good, too, kind of feels like a refreshing way for them to do the trusty "Numb"/"What I've Done" crunchy midtempo track without making another carbon copy of those songs, except it's actually kind of propulsive and danceable, at least by Linkin Park standards. It's funny because I think of this as a Depeche Mode jam in a good way, but one of the most ubiquitous songs on alt-rock radio of the past year, M83's "Midnight City," doesn't work for me because I just think about how I'd rather hear actual Depeche Mode. 

2. Beyonce - "Dance For You"
When I saw the video for this, and later started hearing it on the radio, I instantly thought of my hobbyhorse about deluxe edition bonus tracks being released as singles from a while back. It's not as great as "Countdown" and "Love On Top," of course, but in a weird way it's more accessible than most of 4 proper, and easily sexier than anything on it, which when I think of it that album's one shortcoming was that it didn't really bring the sexy.

3. The Killers - "Runaways" 
I think the world is ready to admit that they gave The Killers too hard a time about Sam's Town and that "When You Were Young" was actually the best thing they've ever done, and with this song the band clearly knows it.

4. Toby Keith - "Beers Ago"
Someday when Toby Keith's career is summed up with a themed box set like Johnny Cash's Love, God, Murder, the collection of Toby's favorite subjects will probably be called America, Beer, Me. And the second disc will definitely be the best. It almost seems like he's trying to fill out that disc right now -- this song is his follow-up to "Red Solo Cup," and apparently the lead single from his next album is going to be called "I Like Girls That Drink Beer." But I think what I like about "Beers Ago" is that it's the most Springsteen chorus on country radio these days, even moreso than Eric Church's "Springsteen."

5. French Montana f/ Rick Ross, Drake and Lil Wayne - "Pop That"  
The whole French Montana thing over the past year has kind of mystified me, since it's predicated on a song, "Shot Caller," which succeeded almost purely because of a beat and a hook he had nothing to do with. And I feel like his label is pretty much admitting that by releasing such a guest-powered single, which I like even though I'm pretty good and sick of all three of the guests, mainly because of the clapper beat and the 2 Live Crew sample. 

6. Ace Hood - "B.L.A.B. (Ballin' Like A Bitch)"
Historically Ace Hood is the kind of guy who needs features like the French single has to keep his career on life support, but this song knocks and he's the only one on it. I always thought dude could flow, he just doesn't have much of a personality to carry records, but in this case it suits the blank aggression of the song.

7. DJ Drama f/ Young Jeezy, T.I., Ludacris and Future - "We In This Bitch"
This song is nuts, definitely one of the best Future hooks in the great year he's having, don't know why this kinda flopped, other than that it would've been a much bigger deal to hear the other three guys on a track together maybe 4-5 years ago when they all still mattered. 

8. Pink - "Blow Me (One Last Kiss)"    
It's so funny to see Greg Kurstin becoming the new default single producer for acts that usually work with Max Martin. This isn't one of Pink's best, and the "shit day" refrain is weirdly awkward in the explicit version, but I'm still kind of excited that she has a new album coming, I loved Funhouse

9. Chevelle - "Hats Off To The Bull" 
Even though I'm still kind of appalled at these guys lip syncing when I saw them live, they're still one of my favorite radio rock bands going. 

10. Anthony Hamilton - "Pray For Me"
Back when the album dropped I pointed out this song as a favorite, but it never really occurred to me that it might at some point become a single, so that was a pleasant surprise. Always cool to hear some evidence that Babyface still has it.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment