Monthly Report: May 2013 Singles
























1. Robin Thicke f/ T.I. and Pharrell Williams - "Blurred Lines"
"Blurred Lines" is the second Robin Thicke song that has been produced by Pharrell Williams, the first being 2006's "Wanna Love You Girl." This is notable because the latter was Thicke's first single for Pharrell's label Star Trak, and he is at this point Star Trak's top selling and most consistently successful act. Thicke largely produces his albums himself (with production partner Pro J), but even the exception, 2009's hitmaker-heavy Sex Therapy, had no Neptunes tracks. I don't know why that is, and given Pharrell's output since 2006, it's probably a good idea, I just find it interesting (it's possible Thicke's signing was a marriage of convenience to begin with, like when Jimmy Iovine signed Slim Thug and, having no idea what to do with a Houston rapper, sent him to Pharrell). In any event, they seem to have genuine chemistry on this track, which just seemed like the most fun thing in the world when the video surfaced out of nowhere a few months ago. The subsequent x-rated cut of the video (which, with all the women in the video and all the men still fully clothed, made the playful sexuality of the original video suddenly seem more skeevy) and the cut that reveals the whole thing as an excuse to make an ad for RadioShack should maybe take some luster off the appeal of the whole thing, but the song just sounds better and better. Listen to the Spotify playlist of all my favorite 2013 singles so far.

2. Sevyn Streeter - "I Like It"
I was just raving about Harmony Samuels last week, and this is one of the first tracks I'd play if I was trying to explain to someone how great he is. Sevyn Streeter was in the Rich Harrison-backed girl group RichGirl that never went anywhere, more because of the commercial climate for girl groups than their material I think, but this is better than anything they did anyway. The follow-up single "It Won't Stop" has a different, slower vibe but is also really good, hope it's another hit.

3. Muse - "Panic Station"
Muse have always been shameless hacky pastiche artists, and sometimes that can be a lot of fun. This song is a mess of '80s signifiers, putting Faith No More "We Care A Lot" basslines and "Thriller" vocal melodies over Billy Squier drums, mining a slightly different vein of the decade that's less obvious than when they go straight to the Queen jugular of the '70s.

4. Ciara - "Body Party"
I don't think this song is quite as amazing as a lot of people do -- it's a bit on the nose, and not as much of a gamechanger as several other things Future and/or Mike Will have done in the past year, but it's still pretty great.

5. RaVaughn - "Best Friend"
I've heard this on the radio just a couple times, but every time it's just beautiful and arresting, and it took me a couple times to figure out how the hell RaVaughn's name was pronounced to find out more about her. Apparently she's a new artist signed with Ne-Yo, really hope this song blows up. I was kind of disappointed to hear the unedited version, though, the random f-bombs in choruses are a little played out now.

6. Gunplay - "Bible On The Dash"
It's kind of annoying how Gunplay continues to be 'one hit away' from his buzz really hitting another level, given some of the great songs he's got. Obviously this isn't a no-brainer radio song, but it is a great one and I'm glad it's starting to get some buzz, the first time I heard it on the radio it sounded great.

7. Vicci Martinez f/ Cee-Lo Green - "Come Along"
I only watch "The Voice" sporadically, even though it's a pretty enjoyable show, because it has felt so low stakes given the lack of any notable careers being launched from it (and Javier Colon's album was pretty good, poor guy). So I only vaguely remember seeing Vicci Martinez on the show whichever season she was a runner-up, and apparently she got a deal and an album released last year despite not winning, but for some reason this song only got a video recently and I just started hearing it on the radio a little. Having a single featuring her mentor from the show is a gimme, I guess, but this song is easily the best thing I've heard from Cee-Lo in a while, although it's definitely her show primarily and would be just about as good without him on it.

8. Kacey Musgraves - "Blowin' Smoke"
Same Trailer Different Park is probably my album of the year so far and almost every song is fantastic, so it's frustrating to see the second single not make the same impact "Merry Go Round" made. It's not as singular but it is pretty remarkable in its own way -- the fact that it's kind of the 'rocker' of the album just underlines how dry her whole sound is. It's so easy to imagine how an unsubtle Gretchen Wilson-type sassy redneck belter would sell this song, but Musgraves just tosses out every line with a wry smile over this loose, almost Stonesy groove. The lyrics also remind me a lot of some places I worked when I was younger, and some women I worked with.

9. Gary Allan - "Pieces"
Months ago, I wrote about Allan's album and shouted out this song as a personal favorite, before I knew it was gonna be a single. Sounds really great on the radio.

10. Charlie Wilson - "Turn Off The Lights"
Same time that I wrote about the Gary Allan album, I also said that "Turn Off The Lights" was a standout on Uncle Charlie's album, not knowing it would be a single either. Love when that happens.

Worst single of the month: Icona Pop f/ Charli XCX - "I Love It"
I don't care. I hate it. I don't care.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment