TV Diary























a) "The Bridge"
I'm a few episodes behind on this show but I really like it, in that way where my overall perception of the show will definitely be colored by how well they finish the season and am just enjoying the ride for now. The concept is laid on a little thick but great overall look and mood and cast, some nice weird twists. Diane Kruger's whole character and her way of playing it, I dunno, I have issues with it, but it's at least an interesting performance to put at the center of a show like this.

b) "The Writers' Room"
Cool idea for a show, I feel sometimes like the discussion is a little surface-area and it could stand to be even nerdier and more nuts-and-bolts, but I still appreciate that they're doing a show like this at all. I haven't seen a lot of it but the "New Girl" and "Breaking Bad" episodes are pretty cool.

c) Behind The Candelabra
I feel like this movie was on a very precarious edge of being kind of realistic and unvarnished and embracing the inherent camp and comedy of the subject matter, sometimes in ways that felt kind of brilliant and sometimes in ways that was really strange and uncomfortable. Love the random but perfectly executed small character actor and comedian roles that Soderbergh has been filling up his more recent movies with.

d) "Ray Donovan" 
The pilot gave me enough interest to keep going throughout the season, but I think I'm just about fed up with this stupid show and all its weird collisions of different tones and John Voight talking about twerking and all that nonsense.

e) "Suits"
This is still one of my favorite shows on TV, just a great cast and smart writing without trying to reinvent the wheel or anything. This season felt a little more serious than usual, in the past there's been a better balance of levity, but it still has a good snappy rhythm, and they haven't been afraid to keep changing the relationships between the characters and not let it get repetitive or stale.

f) "Rizzoli & Isles"
I feel especially bad about the guy on this show killing himself because it was really a thankless role, I can't remember anything about dude. It's all about Isles, though, I love Isles.

g) "NTSF:SD:SUV::"
I was never as big on this show as "Childrens Hospital," but I think I almost have to watch it more now because of the new Scottish girl in the cast. It actually is funny, though, just not as much my style.

h) "Childrens Hospital"
This is still great, although increasingly it feels like they've done everything they can do within the actual hospital concept and just abandon it completely as much as possible, which was really funny when done sparingly in the earlier seasons, but now just seems a bit overdone.

i) "Breaking Bad"
I've always been kind of a "Breaking Bad" skeptic, but now that things are really getting to the end I have to admit I'm more interested in how it'll all end. The last episode that was directed by Rian Johnson was pretty sick.

j) "Sons Of Anarchy"
The last season put me through such a ringer with so much awful stuff happening that I'm kind of bracing myself for this show to top itself again. That didn't happen in the season premiere, which was almost kind of a relief, but the way it ended was kinda crazy and I'm sure lots more will happen from there. Mostly I'm just psyched that Donal Logue's character from last season will have a larger role this time. We'll never get "Terriers" back but it's something.

k) "The Venture Bros."
The new season was too damn short, but still just one of my favorite shows ever, such incredibly dense joke writing, can't wait to get these episodes on DVD and pore over them.

l) "Futurama"
Have always been kind of ambivalent about this show, so while I thought the later Comedy Central seasons had some good moments I'm not sad to see it go. The last episode kinda tried to cut the sentimentality with some gore, which I kind of admire but mostly thought it was both gross and cheesy instead of both affecting and irreverent like they were going for. I mean, I just do not care about Fry and Leela's relationship, does that really have to be what everything always comes back to?
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment