TV Diary
























a) "True Detective"
Three episodes in and this is pretty amazing, although it's been said that that's just the 'act one' of the 8 episode arc, and it feels like what happens from here on out will kinda determine what the show is really about. They've set up such an intriguing, subtly bizarre atmosphere, different from the usual cop show but not "Twin Peaks" level odd, and I could see them blowing it with how the mystery unravels (or doesn't), but I hope they don't. McConaughey is just making a meal out of the role of a lifetime, for maybe the 5th time lately, and it's interesting to see a dynamic between him and Harrelson that's completely different from the good ol' boys "Dukes of Hazzard" vibe I half-expected when I heard they were teaming up for a detective show.

b) "Broad City"
This show annoyed before it even aired because an early ad featured a Beastie Boys song, and even if commercials for TV shows are in some ways different than advertisements for products, I was still like damn, people just won't leave Adam Yauch's dying wish alone. But then I actually watched the show, and it's pretty damn good. It's maybe too easy to say that it's a female "Workaholics," but that kind of is the vibe, and it's cool to see Comedy Central break up its bro vibe with something like this. Ilana Glazer is just so completely hysterical and fearless.

c) "Rake"
It's been 20 years or so now since the "Talk Soup" days and I still find myself rooting for Greg Kinnear, feeling vaguely surprised to see him taken seriously as an actor. This show is pretty promising so far -- FOX is aggressively promoting it as being like "House," which I suppose is true in some respects, it's kind of a light network show about a flawed anti-hero. But he has different flaws, and so far the stories have had this ambling, linear quality, it doesn't feel like it's just going to settle into a legal procedural formula where the lawyer character happens to have certain foibles, although that is the show to some extent. Also, can I just say, I love that this show is about a guy who is a rake, but his name isn't Rake, that would be stupid.

d) "Enlisted"
I've only half-watched this but it seemed pretty weak. You'd think there'd be plenty of room to have a funny show with this premise, though.

e) "Intelligence"
I feel bad for Josh Holloway, he was seemingly one of the most likely members of the "Lost" cast to go on to a good career after the show, but it seems like he's been spinning his wheels, plus I guess he had to cut his hair to not 'look like Sawyer' in other roles and now he just looks weird with short hair. Anyway this show had a decent premise and some nice visual effects but the pilot was just too bland to bring me back for other episodes.

f) "Almost Human"
I lasted maybe 3 episodes with this one, but I'm getting really tired of 2 hour TV pilots, they really exhaust my curiosity about new shows quickly and text my patience. It seemed to be getting better after a couple more episodes, or at least lighter and funnier, but it was still just kind of a cheesy show.

g) "Helix"
Their original movies are, of course, ridiculous, but SyFy's original series have been pretty good, or at least better than the generic sci-fi shows the big 4 have been putting on the air like "Almost Human" and "Intelligence." This is one of the more promising ones they've done lately, and it's been fun to watch it with my wife and let her poke holes in the science. I dunno, though, it seems like it could quickly turn into a faux zombie show, which I'm not really interested in.

h) "Betas"
My wife has an Amazon Prime account, so I've been checking out the original series they've started doing, and this one my recent interview subject Jon Daly in it. The pilot didn't really win me over, though, gonna try to watch some more episodes and see if it gets better -- there's an air of levity but it didn't seem to get to the level of being actually funny enough.

i) "Alpha House"
This is the other Amazon Prime show, and it's a bit more promising -- a Washington satire created by Gary Trudeau and starring John Goodman and Clark Johnson from "Homicide: Life On The Street." It's not firing on all cylinders yet but I like it. I wonder what the budget for these shows is, though, it doesn't quite feel like a 'regular TV show' and I wonder if Amazon is spending less than a network would on a show like this.

j) "Getting On"
I only watched a couple episodes of this and it was pretty unique and well done, but a dark comedy about a hospital is maybe too much reality, it was just so drab and gray and mean and unflinching, I can't watch that every week.

k) "The Michael J. Fox Show"
I'm bummed that NBC has pulled this from the schedule and, it's been widely speculated, has already decided to cancel it. It was one of my favorite new shows last fall, but they never did the job of convincing people that this show starring a familiar face from '80s and '90s sitcoms wasn't a boring old-fashioned show when, really, Will Gluck's sense of humor from his movies (Easy A, Fired Up, Friends With Benefits) really defined the show's tone and the cast had great chemistry. That opening title sequence was just ghastly, though, it made me want to turn off the show every time.

l) "Brooklyn Nine-Nine"
With all the Golden Globe wins, I guess this show is gonna be around for a while, and I'm glad, it's growing on me. Even Andy Samberg's character at least works when he's bouncing off of other characters, but it's really about the ensemble.

m) "Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D."
This show has gotten so dull that I only watch the first half of it while waiting for "Brooklyn Nine-Nine" to come on (because I refuse to watch "Dads" for even a minute), mostly just for Chloe Bennett now, and never wonder what happened in the second half of the episode that I miss.

n) "Super Fun Night"
I keep thinking of trying this show out again, since it was charming enough the once or twice I watched it, but it just seems doomed, I don't think I'll bother.

o) "Trophy Wife"
This show seemed like it should be terrible but it was initially funnier than I expected and seemed to rapidly improve in the next few episodes. Haven't been able to make a habit of it, though.

p) "Burning Love" 
This is the only good thing E! has put on the air besides "The Soup" in years and I can never seem to find it when it's on or get it OnDemand or anywhere else. What little I saw of the second season was hilarious, thoug.

q) "Suburgatory"
Still low key one of the best sitcoms on TV and getting lower key all the time, they didn't even start this season until January, which is never a good sign. Also now the title sequence is animated for some reason.

r) "Episodes"
I like that the longer this show is on the air, the longer the show-within-a-show "Pucks" has to stay on the air, and the more miserable everybody seems about it. This season hasn't had enough John Pankow, though, is my only complaint.

s) "Shameless"
I dunno if I really care about this show at all anymore. The Lip storyline is at least interesting, putting him in college and letting him finally not be the smartest guy in the room. Some of the other storylines are at least starting to not feel like every other season of the show, at least.

t) "Archer"
This show has always been the bridesmaid to "Bob's Burgers" for me but I know some people feel the opposite. I like that they mixed things up a bit this season but COCAINE HAHAHA isn't that much fresher than the spy stuff when you get down to it.

u) "Justified" 
I'd been starting to get bored with this show the last couple seasons, but it's been good this year. The episode with Alan Tudyk was crazy.

v) "Raising Hope" 
This seemed like a hit for a while but it's really doomed now, huh? FOX just dumping episodes on Fridays now, sometimes two at a time. It feels like they've kinda done all they can with the premise, now, though, I wouldn't be too mad if they canceled it.

w) "Community"
I'm glad that the new episodes with Dan Harmon back on the show have been a return to form, because man if they weren't after all that hooplah? Not up to its season 2 heights, but I like that they're being forced to try new things with the characters and the tone -- the first episode after Donald Glover left to be a corny rapper full-time was really good and subtly novel. Even Chang doesn't feel like he's constantly repeating himself anymore.

x) "Parks & Recreation" 
I will miss Rob Lowe on this show, but he was pretty underused lately anyway, which is probably why he's leaving. I finally actually enjoy this show, now that people are saying it fell off, though. I think I like "Brooklyn Nine-Nine"'s approach to the format more, though.

y) "Parenthood"
There's been some really good stuff on this season, and also some really boring drudgery, plus that depressing and somewhat poorly plotted divorce storyline. I kinda wonder if this is just Sam Jaeger's way of getting off the show -- he's always been the least famous and least interesting adult cast member, and I wouldn't blame him for wanting to get out of such a thankless role.

z) "Saturday Night Live"
I feel bad for Sasheer Zamata, she has potential, but the circumstances under which she came onto the show were so loaded, it's never gonna turn out well, at least based on her perfunctory appearances so far. Some good episodes lately, the last Melissa McCarthy episode was by far her best to date, at least in the first half.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment