Movie Diary






















a) Storks
Last week my son turned 7, and he loves going to the movies, so I took him to see Storks. And it was pretty fun and silly, the voice cast with Andy Samber and Kelsey Grammer was solid, and my kid liked it. The story made no sense, I mean just to come up with a movie that tries to make a backstory for the whole 'storks delivering babies' thing has to be pretty deliberately ridiculous, so I felt like they just went for it with gusto.

b) Deadpool
I've known since "Two Guys, A Girl, And A Pizza Place" that Ryan Reynolds had the jerky manic charisma to be a star, but man, it really took him a long time of bumbling through generic leading man stuff to finally get a project out that, for better or worse, packages his personality this effectively. This movie's sense of humor is like a dirty dad joke, and that can wear on you. But the comic relief in Marvel movies has been so numbingly samey for so long that I ended up laughing pretty hard at this movie just because it kept you on your toes, going through the action movie motions and then interrupting them with something absurd or filthy. I thought that it was kind of unfortunate that the premise necessitated Deadpool wearing a mask for most of the movie and Reynolds recording a lot of his dialogue as a voiceover -- his physical and vocal performance just felt a little divorced from each other.

c) The Forest
My wife and I thought this movie sounded pretty intriguing from the trailers, just that there's a real forest in Japan where people go to commit suicide and they used that as the premise for a horror movie, that's incredibly creepy. I really felt like they failed to make use of that with any good creepy atmosphere, though, and some of the CGI was just plain bad and took me out of the movie, kind of a disappointment. 

This is one of those movies I put on in the background on a writing day so I don't really remember much about it, one of the Hemsworths hunts a whale I guess. 

e) Truth
The last movie I saw Robert Redford in was A Walk In The Woods, where I thought he was unconvincing as Bill Bryson, but I'm pretty impressed by his performance as Dan Rather in Truth. He isn't made up too much to look like him but gets the voice and mannerisms down without being too obvious about it. The actual movie, though, I dunno, it felt like propaganda to get me to reconsider that entire episode of journalism history and it was hard to be swayed by something that was trying so hard to sway me. I'm still rooting for Topher Grace for some reason, though? 

I put this on not really knowing what it was, and was disappointed to realize that it's basically a semi-mockumentary directed by the guy who played Proctor in the Police Academy movies. And Fred Willard is in basically in a cheap knockoff of the Christopher Guest movies he was actually in. It's just kind of not very funny, and a waste of a cast that includes John Goodman and Illeana Douglas. 

I think this movie was more intense than I anticipated and I really wasn't ready for it, it was pretty sad and graphic. I don't know if Gerard Butler can really carry a movie like this, though. 

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment