Deep Album Cuts Vol. 202: The 1975























The 1975 released their 4th full-length, Notes On A Conditional Form, back in May, so I've sat with it long enough now that I wanted to pick my favorite tracks and put it in perspective with their catalog as a whole. 

The 1975 deep album cuts (Spotify playlist):

1. This Must Be My Dream
2. Pressure
3. Then Because She Goes
4. Be My Mistake
5. So Far (It's Alright)
6. I Think There's Something You Should Know
7. She Way Out
8. Loving Someone
9. Tonight (I Wish I Was Your Boy)
10. Mine
11. Head.Cars.Bending
12. The Ballad Of Me And My Brain
13. Facedown
14. Nothing Revealed / Everything Denied
15. I Always Wanna Die (Sometimes)
16. M.O.N.E.Y.
17. Undo
18. I Couldn't Be More In Love
19. Heart Out (live)
20. The 1975
21. If I Believe You

Track 13 from Facedown EP (2012)
Track 17 from Sex EP (2012)
Track 11 from Music For Cars EP (2013)
Track 5 from IV EP (2013)
Tracks 2, 7, 16 and 20 from The 1975 (2013)
Tracks 1, 8, 12 and 21 from I like it when you sleep, for you are so beautiful yet so unaware of it (2016)
Track 19 from DH00278 (Live From The O2, London.16.12.16) (2017)
Tracks 4, 10, 15 and 18 from A Brief Inquiry Into Online Relationships (2018)
Tracks 3, 6, 9 and 14 from Notes On A Conditional Form (2020)

While I was making this I decided to do something silly and make another playlist of 1975 (as in the year) deep cuts, with a track from each previous playlist in this series that covered an album from 1975. It's pretty much wall-to-wall great songs. 

The divide between singles and album material is sharper for The 1975 than it is for almost any other band I can think of. That's because there's so much moody Brian Eno-inspired ambient chillout material on their albums, as well as acoustic tracks and languorous ballads and glitchy beat experiments, that they'd never release as a single, and because they're a big name band who releases many, many singles from each album. 

Even the quartet of EPs that preceded their first album mainly served to establish that dynamic, each one backing a big attention-grabbing single with some more textural downtempo material. And a lot of that stuff never appeared on the albums, so I wanted to include them, and the live album, alongside the proper LPs. I had to, of course, include the song "The 1975," which has opened each of their 4 albums -- the first one is kind of the definitive one, the next couple are minor variations with the same basic lyrics, and the latest one on Notes expands to a longer monologue by Greta Thunberg, which feels like something Don Henley would've done first if he was still making solo albums. 

So this playlist, much more than usual, is kind of a look at the band that you wouldn't get from their charting songs, rather than an alternate 'greatest hits' of equally catchy uptempo tracks that could've been released as singles but weren't, although "This Must Be My Dream" certainly could have been a single, and "Tonight (I Wish I Was Your Boy)" and "Be My Mistake" have done well on streaming services. And I fudged things a little -- "Loving Someone" and "Heart Out" were released as singles towards the end of their respective album cycles but didn't really chart anywhere, so they felt like fair game. 
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment