Deep Album Cuts Vol. 192: Jadakiss








Jadakiss and Fabolous are doing a Verzuz song battle on Instagram, and both are the exact kind of artist I like to highlight in this series: talented, popular and respected, but considered better at singles (and/or guest appearances) than albums. So I thought I'd cover one or maybe both of 'em before the battle. 

Jadakiss deep album cuts (Spotify playlist):

1. Feel Me
2. It's Time I See You (featuring The LOX, Drag-On, Eve, and Infa-Red & Cross)
3. Fuckin' Or What?
4. Un-Hunh! (featuring DMX)
5. Jada's Got A Gun
6. None Of Y'all Betta (featuring The LOX)
7. By Your Side 
8. Gettin' It In (featuring Kanye West)
9. Still Feel Me
10. Kiss Of Death (featuring Styles P)
11. Air It Out
12. Cartel Gathering (featuring Ghostface Killah and Raekwon)
13. Things I've Been Through
14. One More Step (featuring Styles P)
15. Pain & Torture
16. Toast To That (featuring Fred The Godson)
17. You Don't Eat (featuring Diddy)
18. Rain (featuring Nas)
19. Soul Food (with Fabolous)
20. Angels Getting Pedicured (featuring 2 Chainz)
21. Pearly Gates

Tracks 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 from Kiss Tha Game Goodbye (2001)
Tracks 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11 from Kiss Of Death (2004)
Tracks 12, 13, 14 and 15 from The Last Kiss (2009)
Track 16 from I Love You (A Dedication To My Fans) (2011)
Tracks 17 and 18 from Top 5 Dead Or Alive (2015)
Track 19 from Friday On Elm Street with Fabolous (2017)
Tracks 20 and 21 from Ignatius (2020)

I feel like I was kind of late to respect Jadakiss. I didn't have a radio, a TV, or a car the whole summer of 2001 and I feel like I completely missed the fact that the guy from The Lox released a solo album. And it really took a while for Jada to grow on me on features and posse cuts, but by Kiss Of Death I was more of a fan and picked that one up. Obviously that one had some big singles, and "By Your Side" also got a lot of buzz off the little excerpt in the "U Make Me Wanna" video. 

In retrospect, I think Kiss Tha Game Goodbye is Jada's best album, it's overlong and sometimes the production is a little generic, but for the most part it's aged really well, lot of jams on there. The beat on the DMX feature is crazy. Kiss Of Death is really good too, but it's also got some stupid songs like the one where Pharrell sings "you gon' stink up the room with that big ol' ass" (Pharrell also says "c'mon with the lump in your pants" on The Last Kiss). "We Gonna Make It" is obviously Jada's greatest single so I wanted to highlight Alchemist's other more low key but still great productions "Feel Me" and "Still Feel Me." 

I thought about including The Lox albums since there are only 3 of them, but I decided to keep it all separate. Maybe I'll do a playlist of Lox and D-Block group projects someday. I definitely wanna do a Styles P solo playlist at some point, he's not as pure a talent or as big a star as Jada but as an album artist he's more consistent. But even without dropping albums really frequently, Jada has amassed a better discography than I think he gets credit for, most of these albums are solid, I really liked this year's Ignatius. Obviously it'd be great if his mixtapes were on streaming services, I'd love to include stuff from The Champ Is Here
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment