Deep Album Cuts Vol. 223: Van Halen






I fucking love Van Halen, and have kicked around this playlist without finishing it for years, partly just mulling over how to balance out music from the different lineups. In the end I decided on about 50 minutes of the David Lee Roth era and about 30 minutes of the Sammy Hagar era (sorry, Gary!). And then after Eddie Van Halen passed, I turned my attention towards my Spin list of his best solos, but now it's good to get back to finishing the deep cuts playlist. 

Van Halen deep album cuts (Spotify playlist):

1. Somebody Get Me A Doctor
2. I'm The One
3. Girl Gone Bad
4. Take Your Whiskey Home
5. Atomic Punk 
6. Hang 'Em High
7. Romeo Delight
8. The Trouble With Never
9. One Foot Out The Door
10. Light Up The Sky
11. Drop Dead Legs
12. Little Dreamer
13. Sinner's Swing!
14. In A Simple Rhyme
15. Source Of Infection
16. 5150
17. A Apolitical Blues
18. Big Fat Money
19. In 'N' Out
20. Doin' Time
21. Good Enough

Tracks 2, 5 and 12 from Van Halen (1978)
Tracks 1 and 10 from Van Halen II (1979)
Tracks 4, 7 and 14 from Women And Children First (1980)
Tracks 9 and 13 from Fair Warning (1981)
Track 6 from Diver Down (1982)
Tracks 3 and 11 from 1984 (1984)
Tracks 16 and 21 from 5150 (1986)
Tracks 15 and 17 from OU812 (1988)
Track 19 from For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge (1991)
Tracks 18 and 20 from Balance (1995)
Track 8 from A Different Kind Of Truth (2012)

One of my earliest memories of a music video, or really of music in general, is the "Jump" video, but I was 2 when that came out, so it was probably at least a couple years later by then. Which is to say, I grew up in a world where Sammy Hagar was the frontman of Van Halen but the David Lee Roth era still loomed large over pop culture. I think even in the '90s I saw "Hot For Teacher" and other early VH videos on MTV more than any of their contemporary hits besides "Right Now." It was kind of like how "Cheers" was still on and popular but everyone also watched reruns of the Shelley Long seasons and how she blew it by leaving. 

A good measure of just how much Van Halen shaped and defined rock radio: they have the 3rd most #1s and the 3rd most top 10s on Billboard's Mainstream Rock chart, despite the fact that the chart was launched in 1981, after the band's hit-packed first 3 albums. There are a dozen songs I still hear on a weekly basis, a dozen more pretty great singles that have been relatively forgotten, and at least a dozen on this playlist that could've been hits, they were just on fire. "Atomic Punk" and "Romeo Delight" have just jaw-dropping guitar sounds on them, I always think about how Back To The Future used Eddie Van Halen's guitar as a teenager's idea of what to use as a futuristic sound to terrify someone in the past. "Light Up The Sky" is interesting to me because the whole opening section is basically a dry run for "Hot For Teacher," and "Take Your Whiskey Home" is my favorite Michael Anthony track, he really showboats in his own right under Eddie's solo. 

Obviously, not everyone can get down with Van Hagar, and if you want to stop the playlist after track 14, I understand. But I opened the Sammy Hagar section of the playlist with his most Rothesque song, "Source Of Infection," and tried to make a case for the virtues of the Hagar era. A lot of their synthy singles make me cringe now, but their harder rocking stuff has held up well, particularly on For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge (although even I, the #1 "Poundcake" fan, will not defend the "call her up on the spank line" song). And I enjoy the drum solo track that Alex Van Halen finally got on Balance, "Doin' Time." My late father and my stepfather mostly listened to different strains of classic rock, but I think the one thing they would've agreed on was the opinion that Van Halen was better with Sammy Hagar. 

One thing I like about Van Hagar is they tipped their hat to the band's Warner Bros. labelmates Little Feat, both with a cover of "A Apolitical Blues," and "Big Fat Money" opens with an extended riff on the lyrics of Little Feat's "Teenage Nervous Breakdown." Ted Templeman produced some of the best albums by both bands, and Little Feat frontman Lowell George's daughter Inara George recorded a whole album of DLR-era Van Halen covers with her band The Bird And The Bee a couple years ago. 
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment