Monthly Report: April 2021 Singles





1. Ava Max - "My Head & My Heart"
I couldn't stand Ava Max's first two hits "Sweet But Psycho" and "Kings & Queens," but I thought her album was alright outside of those tracks. And now she's finally got a single on the radio that I really like, "My Head & My Heart" is just a classic four-on-the-floor Europop banger with a great vocal melody. Here's the 2021 singles Spotify playlist that I add 10 songs to every month throughout the year. 

2. Pooh Shiesty f/ Lil Durk - "Back In Blood" 
It feels like it's been a while since a dark menacing gangsta rap song was on the radio and performed on "The Tonight Show" and stuff like that, it's kind of refreshing even if the DMX era is never coming back. 

3. Rosé - "On The Ground"
I really liked Blackpink's "Ice Cream" last year, which was very much the familiar K-Pop mold of kind of sounding like turn of the century hi-tech R&B. But Blackpink member Rose's debut solo single is something else entirely, although it sort of evokes the same era, a jangly pop/rock song that sounds like it could've been recorded by Natalie Imbruglia, written by U.S. hitmakers Amy Allen (Harry Styles, Halsey) and Jon Bellion (Justin Bieber, Maroon 5).

4. Olivia Rodrigo - "Deja Vu" 
Following up a song as big as "Drivers License" is a mixed blessing, and Olivia Rodrigo took the route of something that feels a little like a sequel, with some of the same woozy synths and a lyric that feels like it's about the same breakup from a slightly more angry perspective. That said, the way the drums and synths hit after the first chorus sounds fucking amazing and I hope this song becomes ubiquitous and doesn't kind of get lost in the shuffle like follow-ups to megahits sometimes do. I love the way the video ends looping back to the intro, I kind of wish the song did that too. 

5. Jimmie Allen f/ Brad Paisley - "Freedom Was A Highway" 
When I wrote about the Bettie James EP last year I singled "Freedom Was A Highway" out as my favorite track, so I'm glad they released it as a single, their voices sound great together and Paisley knocks out a great guitar solo. 

6. Daya - "Bad Girl" 
It's been almost 5 years since Daya's first album, and she's released a lot of singles in that time without much chart action. "Bad Girl" finally got her back on pop radio a little bit, though, I really enjoy Charlie Puth's songs sometimes when someone else sings them. 

7. Juicy J f/ Lil Baby and 2 Chainz - "Spend It" 
I liked this song when it was on The Hustle Continues but man it's been sounding great on the radio lately, I'm glad that Juicy J's recent resurgence as a producer has helped get one of his own songs out there a little too. 

8. Lil Nas X - "Montero (Call Me By Your Name)"
As with "Old Town Road," I think the "Montero" is a lot more entertaining because of the chart-topping spectacle and controversy and social media trolling that Lil Nas X has surrounded it with than it would be if it was just this simple catchy little 2-minute song. But it's fun to see him rile people up, and I'm curious what the album will sound like. 

9. DaBaby - "Masterpiece" 
The backlash to DaBaby seemed to peak around last summer when he was topping the charts with "Rockstar," so I don't know if that means he's too big too fail or if the commercial downturn is coming. "Masterpiece" has kind of performed below what most of his solo singles have done, but I think it's a good idea for him to put out something with more aggressive production like this after all the memes about his songs sounding like Scooby-Doo chase scene music or whatever, it's a great beat. 

10. Ashley McBryde - "Martha Divine" 
It's irritating sometimes how slowly country radio moves, "One Night Standards" took almost a year to peak on the charts so her label wouldn't even release a 2nd single from the album until that had happened. And it surprised me which one they chose, "Martha Divine" is almost the last song from Never Will that I expected to be a single, but it's a good one. 

The Worst Single of the Month: Masked Wolf - "Astronaut In The Ocean" 
For some reason, two of the biggest ascendant stars in U.S. popular music right now are rappers from Sydney, Australia. I don't like The Kid Laroi's music at all, but Masked Wolf's hit has a higher frequency of abjectly terrible lyrics ("I believe in G-O-D, don't believe in T-H-O-T"). 
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment