My Top 100 Singles of 1987





Here's the companion piece to last week's 1987 albums post, with another Spotify playlist:

1. Whitney Houston - "I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)"
2. Audio Two - "Top Billin'" 
3. John Mellencamp - "Cherry Bomb"
4. Crowded House - "Don't Dream It's Over"
5. R.E.M. - "It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)"
6. The Cure - "Just Like Heaven" 
7. George Michael - "Faith"
8. Prince - "I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man" 
9. Anita Baker - "Same Ole Love (365 Days A Year)" 
10. U2 - "With Or Without You" 
11. Bon Jovi - "Wanted Dead Or Alive"
12. Public Enemy - "Rebel Without A Pause" 
13. Madonna - "Open Your Heart" 
14. Biz Markie - "Nobody Beats The Biz"
15. Run-DMC - "It's Tricky" 
16. Michael Jackson - "The Way You Make Me Feel"
17. INXS - "Need You Tonight" 
18. Squeeze - "Hourglass" 
19. Aretha Franklin f/ George Michael - "I Knew You Were Waiting (For Me)" 
20. Prince - "If I Was Your Girlfriend" 
21. Eric B. & Rakim - "I Ain't No Joke" 
22. Bon Jovi - "Livin' On A Prayer" 
23. Def Leppard - "Animal" 
24. Janet Jackson - "Control" 
25. U2 - "Where The Streets Have No Name" 
26. The Replacements - "Alex Chilton"
27. Bruce Springsteen - "Brilliant Disguise" 
28. Starship - "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" 
29. Genesis - "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight" 
30. Boogie Down Productions - "The Bridge Is Over"
31. Whitesnake - "Here I Go Again" 
32. Debbie Gibson - "Only In My Dreams" 
33. Yello - "Oh Yeah"
34. Fleetwood Mac - "Little Lies"
35. Heart - "Alone" 
36. Run-DMC - "Christmas In Hollis" 
37. Crowded House - "Something So Strong" 
38. Michael Jackson featuring Siedah Garrett - "I Just Can't Stop Loving You" 
39. U2 - "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" 
40. Paul Simon - "Diamonds On The Soles Of Her Shoes" 
41. Aleander O'Neal - "Criticize"
42. The Pogues featuring Kirsty MacColl - "Fairytale Of New York" 
43. Pet Shop Boys featuring Dusty Springfield - "What Have I Done To Deserve This?"
44. Prince featuring Sheena Easton - "U Got The Look"
45. George Michael - "I Want Your Sex" 
46. Eric B. & Rakim - "Paid In Full" 
47. Beastie Boys - "No Sleep Til Brooklyn" 
48. The 45 King - "The 900 Number"
49. Fleetwood Mac - "Everywhere"
50. Pink Floyd - "Learning To Fly" 
51. The Smiths - "Girlfriend In A Coma"
52. Janet Jackson - "The Pleasure Principle" 
53. Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam - "Head To Toe" 
54. U2 - "Bullet The Blue Sky"
55. ABC - "When Smokey Sings"
56. Gregg Allman - "I'm No Angel" 
57. LL Cool J - "I'm Bad" 
58. Michael Jackson - "Bad"
59. Salt-N-Pepa - "Push It" 
60. XTC - "Dear God" 
61. Prince - "Sign O' The Times" 
62. Suzanne Vega - "Luka" 
63. Echo & The Bunnymen - "Lips Like Sugar" 
64. Janet Jackson - "Let's Wait Awhile"
65. Kiss - "Crazy Crazy Nights"
66. The Bangles - "A Hazy Shade Of Winter"
67. George Harrison - "Got My Mind Set On You" 
68. Motley Crue - "Wild Side"
69. Kool Moe Dee - "Wild Wild West"
70. Ready For The World - "Love You Down" 
71. Paul Simon - "Graceland"
72. The Cult - "Love Removal Machine"
73. Aerosmith - "Dude (Looks Like A Lady)" 
74. Surface - "Happy"
75. LL Cool J - "Go Cut Creator Go"
76. Peter Gabriel - "Big Time" 
77. Steve Winwood - "Valerie (Remix)"
78. Lyle Lovett - "If I Had A Boat"
79. Motley Crue - "Girls, Girls, Girls"
80. Buster Poindexter And His Banshees Of Blue - "Hot Hot Hot" 
81. Bruce Willis - "Respect Yourself"  
82. The Georgia Sattelites - "Keep Your Hands To Yourself"  
83. Poison - "Talk Dirty To Me"
84. U2 - "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)" 
85. Fabulous Thunderbirds - "Stand Back"  
86. Beastie Boys - "(You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (To Party!)"
87. The Whispers - "Rock Steady"
88. Sting - "We'll Be Together" 
89. Richard Marx - "Don't Mean Nothing" 
90. Chris de Burgh - "The Lady In Red"
91. Kool Moe Dee - "How Ya Like Me Now"
92. The Bangles - "Walk Like An Egyptian"
93. Cutting Crew - "(I Just) Died In Your Arms" 
94. Whitesnake - "Is This Love" 
95. Bruce Springsteen - "Tunnel Of Love"
96. Fleetwood Mac - "Big Love" 
97. Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes - "(I've Had) The Time Of My LIfe"
98. Patrick Swayze f/ Wendy Fraser - "She's Like The Wind" 
99. LL Cool J - "I Need Love"
100. Europe - "The Final Countdown"

I think I'm sticking my neck out a little bit on "Cherry Bomb," but I adore that song. One of the things about going backwards through the '80s is that there's a little less hip hop every year as you go back towards its early years, so there's just less rap to include in both the albums and even singles lists each year. But it kind of gives me a greater appreciation for the early innovators to hear them in context, how much of a shift Public Enemy or Rakim represented from what came before them. 
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment