Deep Album Cuts Vol. 251: Silverchair





Back in October, I did a deep dive into Silverchair's discography to write a piece about the band's current whereabouts for Consequence, and while I was doing that I started piecing together this playlist. Since that piece ran, Daniel Johns has announced a new solo album, FutureNever, that will be out in April, and also made some even more decisive comments to the effect that Silverchair will never reunite. So I thought I'd return to this playlist and finish it up and post it with the knowledge the band is really and truly a done deal. 

Silverchair deep album cuts (Spotify playlist):

1. Blind
2. Cicada
3. Leave Me Out
4. Suicidal Dream
5. Punk Song #2
6. Lie To Me
7. Pop Song For Us Rejects
8. Petrol & Chlorine
9. Spawn (with Vitro)
10. Emotion Sickness
11. Steam Will Rise
12. Point Of View
13. Minor Threat
14. Pins In My Needles
15. Too Much Of Not Enough
16. The Lever
17. World Upon Your Shoulders
18. Young Modern Station
19. Those Thieving Birds (Part 1) / Strange Behaviour / Those Thieving Birds (Part 2)
20. Insomnia

Track 1 from the Tomorrow EP (1994)
Tracks 2, 3 and 4 from Frogstomp (1995)
Track 5 from the "Freak" single (1997)
Tracks 6, 7 and 8 from Freakshow (1997)
Track 9 from Spawn: The Album (1997)
Tracks 10, 11 and 12 from Neon Ballroom (1999)
Track 13 from the "Miss You Love" single (1999)
Track 14 from the "The Greatest View" single (2002)
Tracks 15, 16 and 17 from Diorama (2002)
Tracks 18, 19 and 20 from Young Modern (2007)

In retrospect, I'm surprised I didn't like Silverchair more when they first came out. They were just a couple years older than me, all about the same age as my brother who I'd just started my first couple bands with, I should've been excited to see some teenagers in a platinum rock band, making the kind of grungy hard rock I was obsessed with. But I never dug "Tomorrow" that much, and I don't think it's aged terribly well. But Frogstomp is still impressive for how young they were when they made it, and it's cool to hear Daniel Johns make these big leaps and strides as a songwriter over the course of their career. I really dig some of the later stuff that Van Dyke Parks worked on and think they went out on top with Young Modern

Since they only made 5 albums, I also dipped into their singles and EPs for some b-sides. "Blind" from their debut EP was later re-recorded for the Cable Guy soundtrack. As I mentioned in the Consequence piece, they covered Minor Threat's "Minor Threat" on one single, and two 2002 b-sides, including "Pins In My Needles," were kind of randomly just put on streaming services in 2020. And it's interesting to hear Silverchair participate in the rock/electronica fusions on the Spawn soundtrack, especially since Johns went on to do a lot of electronic stuff in his solo work and side projects outside Silverchair. A more conventional version of Spawn's title track, "Spawn (Again)," appeared on Neon Ballroom, but I don't think it's as interesting as the Vitro verison. 
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment