My Top 100 Singles of 1982





Here's the Spotify playlist

1. Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five - "The Message" 
2. Dexys Midnight Runners - "Come On Eileen" 
3. The Human League - "Don't You Want Me" 
4. Marvin Gaye - "Sexual Healing" 
5. Tom Tom Club - "Genius Of Love" 
6. INXS - "Don't Change"
7. Stevie Nicks - "Edge Of Seventeen" 
8. Stevie Wonder - "Do I Do" 
9. Prince - "1999"
10. Soft Cell - "Tainted Love/Where Did Our Love Go?" 
11. The Gap Band – “Outstanding”
12. Duran Duran - "Hungry Like The Wolf" 
13. Toto - "Rosanna" 
14. The Who - "Eminence Front"
15. Journey – “Stone In Love”
16. Teena Marie - "Square Biz" 
17. DeBarge - "I Like It"
18. Michael McDonald - "I Keep Forgettin'"
19. Tears For Fears - "Mad World"
20. Madness - "Our House" 
21. Bruce Springsteen - "Atlantic City" 
22. The Clash - "Rock The Casbah"  
23. Men At Work - "Overkill" 
24. Iron Maiden - "Run To The Hills" 
25. Joan Jett & The Blackhearts - "I Love Rock 'n' Roll"
26. Fleetwood Mac - "Gypsy" 
27. Afrika Bambaataa & The Soulsonic Force - "Planet Rock" 
28. The Gap Band - "You Dropped A Bomb On Me" 
29. The English Beat - "Save It For Later" 
30. Van Halen - "Dancing In The Street"
31. Jackson Browne - "Somebody's Baby"
32. The Ravyns - "Raised On The Radio" 
33. Billy Idol - "White Wedding" 
34. John Mellencamp - "Jack & Diane" 
35. Genesis - "Paperlate" 
36. Laura Branigan - "Gloria"
37. Keni Burke - "Risin' To The Top"
38. .38 Special - "Caught Up In You" 
39. Vanity 6 - "Nasty Girl"
40. Squeeze - "Black Coffee In Bed" 
41. Billy Squier - "Everybody Wants You"
42. Joe Jackson - "Steppin' Out" 
43. The Sugarhill Gang - "Apache"
44. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - "You Got Lucky"
45. Alicia Myers – “I Want To Thank You”
46. Billy Joel - "Pressure" 
47. The Waitresses - "I Know What Boys Like"  
48. Bow Wow Wow - "I Want Candy"
49. Toni Basil - "Mickey"
50. Shalamar – “A Night To Remember”
51. Judas Priest - "You've Got Another Thing Comin'"
52. The Time – “777-9311”
53. Tommy Tutone - "867-5309/Jenny"
54. Peter Gabriel - "Shock The Monkey" 
55. Duran Duran - "Rio" 
56. Evelyn “Champagne” King – “Love Come Down”
57. A Flock Of Seagulls - "I Ran (So Far Away)"
58. The Clash - "Should I Stay Or Should I Go"
59. Patrice Rushen - "Forget Me Nots"
60. George Thorogood & The Destroyers - "Bad To The Bone"
61. Kim Wilde - "Kids In America" 
62. Willie Nelson - "Always On My Mind"
63. The Go-Go's - "Vacation" 
64. Prince - "Do Me, Baby"
65. Adam Ant – “Goody Two Shoes"
66. Joan Jett & The Blackhearts - "Crimson and Clover"
67. Rick James and Teena Marie - "Fire And Desire" 
68. The Dazz Band - "Let It Whip"
69. Stray Cats - "Rock This Town" 
70. ABC - "The Look Of Love (Part One)"
71. The Gap Band – “Early In The Morning”
72. Peter Gabriel - "Kiss Of Life"  
73. Split Enz - "Six Months In A Leaky Boat"
74. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - "Straight Into Darkness" 
75. Donald Fagen - "I.G.Y. (What A Beautiful World)" 
76. The Alan Parsons Project - "Eye In The Sky"
77. Phil Collins - "You Can't Hurry Love"
78. Loverboy - "Working For the Weekend"
79. Roxy Music – “More Than This”
80. The Clash - "Straight To Hell" 
81. John Mellencamp - "Hurts So Good" 
82. XTC - "Senses Working Overtime"
83. Duran Duran – “Save A Prayer”
84. The J. Geils Band - "Centerfold"
85. Jennifer Holliday - "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going"
86. Scorpions - "No One Like You"
87. Daryl Hall & John Oates - "Maneater" 
88. Luther Vandross - "Bad Boy/Having A Party"
89. Pat Benatar - "Shadows Of The Night" 
90. Joe Cocker and Jennifer Warnes - "Up Where We Belong"
91. Mike Post - "Theme From Magnum P.I."
92. The Weather Girls - "It's Raining Men" 
93. Joan Jett & The Blackhearts - "Do You Wanna Touch Me (Oh Yeah)"
94. Survivor - "Eye of the Tiger"
95. George Jones with the Oak Ridge Boys - "Same Ole Me"
96. Dr. Hook & The Medicine Show - "Baby Makes Her Blue Jeans Talk”
97. Rush - "Subdivisions" 
98. Missing Persons - "Destination Unknown"
99. The J. Geils Band - "Freeze-Frame"
100. Vangelis - "Chariots Of Fire"

As I mentioned the other day when I posted my top 1982 albums, this was the year I was born, though it took me until my 20s to hear a lot of those albums. And looking back, I first experienced a lot of the best songs of 1982 via songs that sampled them in the '90s, including "Genius of Love," "Do I Do," "Square Biz," "I Keep Forgettin'," and so on. Hilariously, Puff Daddy's "Can't Hold Me Down" annoyed me because I thought he'd ripped off Ice Cube's "Check Yo Self," because I hadn't heard "The Message" yet. 

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment