Deep Album Cuts Vol. 281: Matchbox 20








Now, I will acknowledge that Matchbox 20 has officially been 'Matchbox Twenty' for most of their career. But I don't recognize the name change as valid, it just looks stupid, and it still says 'Matchbox 20' on the cover of their first and by far biggest album, so that's what I'm going with. 

Matchbox 20 deep album cuts (Spotify playlist):

1. Argue
2. Shame
3. Girl Like That
4. Hang
5. Kody
6. Crutch
7. Bed Of Lies
8. Angry
9. Rest Stop
10. So Sad So Lonely
11. Feel
12. Could I Be You
13. Hand Me Down
14. I'll Believe You When
15. If I Fall
16. Can't Let You Go
17. Radio
18. Like Sugar
19. The Way
20. English Town
21. Parade

Tracks 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 from Yourself Or Someone Like You (1996)
Tracks 6, 7, 8 and 9 from Mad Season (2000)
Tracks 10, 11, 12 and 13 from More Than You Think You Are (2002)
Tracks 14, 15 and 16 from Exile On Mainstream (2007)
Tracks 17, 18, 19, 20 and 21 from North (2012)

Matchbox 20 were never a band I really gave to much thought to, mostly I preferred their less ubiquitous singles like "Long Day" and "She's So Mean" to their bigger hits. But my wife loved Yourself Or Someone Like You in high school and songs from that album have grown on me when she's played them on long road trips. I also kind of just generally dig rock bands that are from the south but don't play 'southern rock' as such or seem to try to seem southern, but their southern-ness kind of seeps through in more subtle ways. By far the most played non-single in the band's live repertoire is "So Sad, So Lonely" which was a hidden track on CD copies of More Than You Think You Are. It's actually not on the album as it appears on streaming services today, but it's available on Spotify via a box set, The Matchbox Twenty Collection

North really surprised me, really excellent album with interesting production. Guitarist Kyle Cook sings lead on "The Way" and he has a pretty good voice, I may have to check out the solo album he released a few years ago. North made me curious to hear what they'd do next, but ten years later the band has yet to release a new album. Matchbox 20 has continued to play live, touring in 2017 and scheduling a 2020 tour that was delayed by COVID-19 and is now set to kick off in 2023. They recently played a one-off festival date in Canada, and are supposedly working on a new album, so maybe that'll be out by the time they finally start the tour. 
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment