My Top 50 Albums of 2022


 
























I have already posted my favorite singles, EPs, remixes, and TV shows of 2022, so here's my favorite albums. I put a favorite track from each album in a Spotify playlist

1. Vince Staples - Ramona Park Broke My Heart
Vince Staples is dependable to a fault, a major label rapper who reliably charts in the same region of the charts over and over for 5 albums straight (always in the top 40 of the Billboard 200 but never quite top 10), a guy who's better known for wry, entertaining interviews and an Adult Swim cartoon than any radio single. But I think too many rap fans have made the mistake of underestimating or passing him over. Ramona Park Broke My Heart is a major statement from a major artist, steeped in the sounds and conventions of West coast rap but subdued and twisted into something quieter, more introspective and melancholy, a full-length opus after years of hedging his bets with bite-sized 20-minute projects. 

2. Beyonce - Renaissance
As amazing as her self-titled album is, I tend to name B'Day as my favorite Beyonce album, because I think that such a relentlessly uptempo album is the ideal showcase for her singing and writing. So it's no surprise that an album that practically lives its entire life in the club like Renaissance appeals to me, and may be my favorite someday, but for now is at least top 3. And the wealth of danceable tracks and uptempo vamps makes the one slow jam, "Plastic Off The Sofa," hit even harder. 

3. Aoife O'Donovan - Age of Apathy
One of my favorite things about my job is that I pretty regularly get to work at the Kennedy Center and see amazing shows (or at least, watch and listen to the audio and video monitors from my work station in the wings). And one of the best ones I saw this year was the NSO tribute to Joni Mitchell in May. The night featured several great vocalists, because obviously you aren't even going to try to sing a Joni song unless you know what you're doing, and even in that field Aoife O'Donovan stood out, her voice is absolutely breathtaking. And I immediately sought out her latest album, her third for Yep Roc, which has a definite Michell influence (she even sings a few lines of "My Old Man" at the end of the title track), but she very much has her own Americana sound and lyrical perspective that feels rooted in what's happening in the world right now.

4. The 1975 - Being Funny In A Foreign Language
Matty Healy and George Daniel are one of the best production teams of the past decade, and I think they should be producing more of other people's records (Healy publicly campaigned to produce a Harry Styles album but that hasn't happened) instead of bringing an in-demand outside producer to work with The 1975. That said, Jack Antonoff is a good match for The 1975 in a lot of ways, and he mostly helps them sound like themselves on Being Funny In A Foreign Language -- "I'm Looking For Somebody (To Love)" does sound like a Bleachers song, but I don't mind that, I'm one of the few people who thinks a lot of Antonoff's best stuff is on the Bleachers albums. 

5. Lucky Daye - Candydrip
I've written like 3 blurbs about this record for Spin so I'm kind of blurbed out? But a great record, maybe D'Mile's masterpiece out of all the things he's done the last few years. And in a youth-obsessed music industry, Lucky Daye breaking through at 37, long after his top 20 elimination from the season of "American Idol" won by Carrie Underwood, is a rare triumph. 

6. Julia Jacklin - Pre Pleasure
I really liked Australian singer-songwriter Julia Jacklin's 2019 album Crushing, but it feels like the songs on Pre Pleasure are on another level, inventively arranged with arresting moments that can completely transform the song after I thought I knew where it was going.  The drums that come in on the second half of "Lydia Wears A Cross," the huge out-of-nowhere climax in the middle of "Love, Try Not To Let Go," the late arriving acoustic guitar in "Too In Love To Die," or the way the lyric of "Magic" slowly walks you toward the significance of the title. 

7. Zach Bryan - American Heartbreak
There's something offputting about the outsized ambition of a 26-year-old guy naming his major label debut American Heartbreak and loading it up with 34 songs. But Zach Bryan manages to pull it off, partly by making the kind of wounded alt-country that goes down so easy that you're not completed exhausted by the end of the 2-hour album, and the sheer variety and energy of the collection does feel like an achievement that goes beyond if he'd simply put the dozen best songs on the album. 

8. Denzel Curry - Melt My Eyez See Your Future
I never really followed the Raider Klan thing and kinda slept on Denzel Curry before 2019's ZUU, and I didn't even totally come around to realizing how great Melt My Eyez See Your Future is until towards the end of this year. But his ear for beats is really omnivorous and he's in that interesting space where his music's grounded in Florida rap traditions but he's on his own trip, and he really steps up with his best wordplay-heavy verse on the posse cut "Ain't No Way" with Rico Nasty and J.I.D.

9. Harry Styles - Harry's House
When a boy band guy becomes a successful solo artist, he's usually a force of nature, whether a generational talent (Michael Jackson, George Michael) or at least a hugely charismatic showman (Bobby Brown, Justin Timberlake, Robbie Williams). Harry Styles is none of the above, and honestly, it's kind of refreshing to have a slacker male pop superstar who has definite taste and artistic ambitions but doesn't seem to take himself too seriously. And by his third album, he's slouched into making real A-list heavy rotation pop music that still has the quirky dad rock roots that dominated his earlier solo work. 

10. King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Changes
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard have averaged two to three albums per year for their entire existence, but they stepped it up with five albums in 2022, including three in October alone. Out of that flood of music, Changes stood out to me for its wealth syncopated grooves, big melodic hooks, and bright, clean sound, although it still maintains the esoteric psych rock vibe that defines the band. 



























11. Saba - Few Good Things
I never paid a lot of attention to Saba before, but Few Good Things has really grabbed me and rewarded repeated listens. Partly because it's articulating some of the same complex ideas about success, money, family and identity as the Vince Staples album, partly because of its often beautiful and soulful palette of sounds and voices. It's an album that communicates a lot of uncomfortable truths and observations, but it has a calm, comforting air to it. 

12. Infinity Knives & Brian Ennals - King Cobra
I knew Infinity Knives and Brian Ennals before they made King Cobra. And when I received an advance of the album and interviewed them for The Baltimore Banner ahead of its release, both seemed a little exhausted by the process of making the album and unsure of how it'd be received. And I found myself reassuring both of them that they'd knocked it out of the park with this album and I thought it was probably the best thing either of them had done, and had potential to resonate with a larger audience. And I'm pleased to say I was right -- a lot of people who've never been to Baltimore have called this the best album or the best hip hop album of 2022. And I've loved seeing that happen, especially since Ennals was a complete unknown when he started sending me music 12 years ago and was always one of those clearly talented guys that I would root for to break through at at some point. 

13. Flo Milli - You Still Here, Ho? 
I will say, I don't like that Flo Milli promoted her debut album with a single called "Conceited" that's unrelated to and not nearly as good as the single "Conceited" from Remy Ma's debut album. Other than that, though, she picked up where the 2020 mixtape Ho, Why Is You Here? left off perfectly, with slightly sharper and more varied production this time around. 

14. Kehlani - Blue Water Road
Blue Water Road missed the top 10 unlike Kehlani's three previous projects, and all its singles missed the radio, which I find a little baffling, because I think this is by far their best album, and a pretty accessible one. I even like the song with Bieber! The ballad with the chorus "it's the everything for me" took the album out of top 10 contention though.

15. Demi Lovato - Holy Fvck
The production team Pop & Oak made some of the best pop and R&B of the 2010s, but now they're mostly working separately. And while Pop Wansel is still holding down the R&B lane with the Kehlani album, Warren "Oak" Felder surprisingly helmed Demi Lovato's first guitar-driven album in over a decade. And it kicks more ass than all the Travis Barker-produced pop punk revival albums that have been so in vogue in recent years, Lovato wailing like Rob Halford about death and addiction over heavy riffs. 

16. Brett Eldredge - Songs About You
Brett Eldredge is kind of an inconsequential, cuddly middle-of-the-pack country star, and 2 of his 7 albums are Christmas records. But he's a hell of a vocalist, and Songs About You is his richest, most adventurous album to date, with hushed ballads and horn-driven tracks that bring out the soulful grit in his voice. Heather Morgan, who's been co-writing some of Eldredge's best songs since "Beat of the Music" from his debut album, continues to do great work on Songs About You, including beautiful backing vocals on "Home Sweet Love." 

17. Ashley McBryde - Ashley McBryde Presents: Lindeville
Lindeville is a quick, profanely funny 33-minute album that Warner Music Nashville treated like a side project with so little promotion that it didn't even chart. But it's probably the most ambitious thing Ashley McBryde has ever done, a concept album about a fictional small town and the people in it, conceived as a tribute to the character-driven country music of songwriters like the late great Dennis Linde. "Brenda Put Your Bra On" and "The Missed Connection Section of the Lindeville Gazette" are hilarious, but there's so much love and humanity and musical tradition in this album too. 

18. Tears For Fears - The Tipping Point
I've been loving the music of Tears For Fears for practically my whole life -- like one of my earliest memories of pop music is asking my dad to play "Head Over Heels" again. So it was thrilling for me to interview Roland Orzabal and Curt Smith this year, tell them what their work meant to me, and dig into the artistic rebirth behind the band's best (and highest charting) album since the '80s. 

19. Nas - King's Disease III
I never went for the line that Nas lost his touch -- he's not the most consistent of rap's greats, so be sure, but I'll take pretty almost any of his albums since 2001 over almost any of Jay-Z's albums since 2001. Still, it was pretty unexpected that he'd forge a stronger professional relationship with Hit-Boy than any other producer of his career and go on a hot streak that has so far included four albums that stand with the best of his post-Illmatic output. 

20. Florence + The Machine - Dance Fever
As with his work with The 1975 this year, I rolled my eyes when I heard that Jack Antonoff would produce the new Florence + The Machine album, because sometimes it feels like he's just collecting artists like major label alt-pop infinity stones. But then the album arrived and I was happy that he seemed to merely support the artist's existing sound instead of imposing his sound on it. Florence Welch remains one of the world's greatest vocalists working, and "The Bomb" is quickly becoming maybe my favorite song she's ever done. 





























21. Maggie Rogers - Surrender
I was similarly skeptical of Maggie Rogers going into the studio with a current hitmaker, Harry Styles producer Kid Harpoon, when her earlier work had such a particular and individual sound. But Surrender is kind of the perfect fusion of her established aesthetic and some bigger, hookier production with booming drums and more forceful choruses. And it feels like Rogers really pushed her voice on "Anywhere With You" and "Shatter" and is a much more versatile, expressive vocalist, as well as a bit more of a rock star, on this record. 

22. FKA Twigs - Caprisongs
I don't really follow or understand astrology, but anecdotally, it seems like Capricorn musicians are less likely to name songs or albums after their sign than some other signs. So I appreciate a fellow January baby like FKA Twigs naming her latest project after our sign, even if it's in a weird way that reminds me of those juice pouches. And though Caprisongs is officially a 'mixtape,' her first major label project feels a big ambitious reach for a larger audience that combines her British and American influences in a really cool fluid way, my favorite record she's made since LP1

23. Tove Lo - Dirt Femme
Last week I made a Tove Lo playlist and really started to appreciate how consistent she's been throughout her career. She doesn't have a weak album in the bunch, and while Queen Of The Clouds remains her biggest record and Blue Lips is my cult favorite, her first independent album Dirt Femme shows that she doesn't need major label money to make state of the art pop, "Kick In The Head" and "No One Dies From Love" are among her best songs ever.

24. The Soft Pink Truth - Is It Going To Get Any Deeper Than This?
I wound up writing more about the EP before the album, the 7th album from Drew Daniel's The Soft Pink Truth project is clearly the main course, and I think one of the best things he's ever done, including Matmos's formidable catalog. At some point decades ago, underground electronic music sorted itself into the opposing camps of twitchier, artier stuff and actual dance music that stays true to the four-on-the-floor thump of house and disco, and Is It Going To Get Any Deeper Than This? feels like a rare record that bridges those worlds satisfyingly, arthouse house music. 

25. Timothy Bailey & The Humans - Timothy Bailey & The Humans
Richmond, Virginia's Timothy Bailey released his debut album at 50 years old, and it's a poignant record about the personal difficulties that kept him from getting an earlier start. Beauty Pill's Chad Clark was a sound choice to co-produce and mix the album, and he knows how to capture the personality in Bailey's plainspoken voice and set it against a rich ensemble that often includes vibraphone, horns, and flutes. 

26. Charli XCX - Crash
For a lot of people, Charli XCX only got interesting once she started flirting with hyper pop and other more niche styles in the Number 1 Angel/Pop 2 era. And Crash, which was the last album on Charli's Atlantic Records contract and felt like one last stab at traditional pop stardom, seemed to be greeted by some skepticism by fans who saw it as, I dunno, too basic. But for me, Crash is her best album since Sucker and "Yuck" is a pretty perfect encapsulation of her sound and songwriting style, so I'm glad that I've seen the album on so many year-end lists, feels like maybe her snobbier fans let their guards down and embraced the album eventually. 

27. Elvis Costello & The Imposters - The Boy Named If
One of my main writing projects of 2022 was ranking artists' catalogs for Spin, and often the challenge was to figure out where a new album belonged in the grand scheme of their career as soon as it was released. And looking back at where I ranked The Boy Named If in Elvis Costello's discography back in January, I feel good about my decision to put it right ahead of Brutal Youth -- it's one of his occasional albums that harkens back to his fast and loud '70s work, but it hits the spot more more accurately and more satisfyingly than some of his other late period albums of that variety. 

28. They Hate Change - Finally, New
I tend to regard hip hop albums released by prominent indie rock labels with suspicion, and I know Jagjaguwar mainly for releasing albums I've loved by Parts & Labor and Dinosaur Jr., among others. But I'm glad I got over that hangup and checked out Tampa Bay duo They Hate Change, whose album is brimming with classic Dungeon Family-style southern rap pop smarts as well as an omnivorous experimental bent that throws cutting edge beats and retro drum'n'bass breaks into the mix. 

29. Rosalía Motomami
I always feel a little guilty about not speaking a second language (I took French in high school and retained little of it), and feel like it should be a long term goal of mine to learn Spanish someday simply because it's spoken by so many people in America and elsewhere in the world. And a year like 2022, where Bad Bunny and a few other Spanish language acts made a huge impact, can really make a music lover feel like they're missing out if they're not fluent. Without understanding the lyrics, I get limited enjoyment out of Bad Bunny's music, I just don't love his voice. But I could listen to Rosalia's voice all day, and her ear for beats has gotten so adventurous and unpredictable over her three albums, I love where she's taken her sound on Motomami

30. Christine and the Queens - Redcar les adorables etoiles (Prologue)
Once again, I feel like my lack of fluency in anything besides English has served me poorly, because while Christine and the Queens' 2018 album Chris was issued with versions of each song sung in both French and English, most of Redcar is purely in French. But while I have less of a clear idea of what Heloise Letissier's new songs are about, his art pop collaboration with hip hop legend Mike Dean is a fascination new step forward for his sound. 




























31. Kendrick Lamar - Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers
Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers is, for me, the weakest of all of Kendrick's proper albums since Section 80. But there's not denying that he's one of the greatest artists in any genre of the past decade, and even a flawed minor work contains incredible songs like "Mother I Sober" and "Purple Hearts" that help balance out some of the more offputting experiments or the multiple Kodak Black features. 

32. Roc Marciano & The Alchemist - The Elephant Man's Bones
Roc Marciano and The Alchemist were in the mix way back in the '90s, working with Busta Rhymes and Mobb Deep respectively, at the peak of east coast boom bap rap's splashy blockbuster era. But as that sound has moved away from the forefront of mainstream hip hop, both Roc and Alc have become leading figures in a more deliberately niche strand of street rap, sample-driven but with lighter drums (or none at all), designed more for headphones than for getting spun at the Tunnel. So hearing them do an album together in 2022, when each's influence is at an all-time high, feels like an event, even if the music they're making is sort of the opposite of a blustering event album. 

33. Black Thought & Danger Mouse - Cheat Codes
I have not been a huge fan of Danger Mouse's production in the past, and thought his project with Black Thought would interest me a lot less than his album with Salaam Remi. But I will give Danger Mouse some credit, he is versatile and he understood the assignment here, chopping samples for more Alchemist-style minimalist beats that suited Tariq's bars. 

34. Megan Thee Stallion - Traumazine
Some rappers just make better mixtapes than albums, it's just the nature of how industry expectations can hurt more high-pressure projects. And last year's tape Something For Thee Hotties will probably always be my favorite Megan Thee Stallion project, it's just all killer and no crossover-friendly filler. But Traumazine is a better attempt at a mass market something-for-everyone Megan album than Good News, and the way she opens up about the craziness of the past couple years really makes her a more nuanced and relatable songwriter than the Tina Snow superhero figure she played so well in the past. 

35. Dreezy & Hit-Boy - HITGIRL
During that pre-Cardi/Megan era when no female rappers not named Nicki got more than a hit or two on the charts, Chicago's Dreezy was one of the most promising and talented prospects that never really got the shine she deserved. I hope it's not too late for her to catch a wave, though, because HITGIRL is fantastic, Hit-Boy gave her a great and varied set of beats just like he's done for Nas and others lately. 

36. Ari Lennox - Age/Sex/Location
Ari Lennox's 2019 debut Shea Butter Baby was a sleeper hit that only just went gold a couple months ago. With the hit Jermaine Dupri-produced lead single "Pressure" preceding her second album, I thought Age/Sex/Location might take Lennox's career up a notch and place her alongside SZA and Summer Walker as one of the few young female R&B singers who can do numbers. Disappointingly, that didn't happen -- I'm tempted to blame the label, since JID's album seemed to fall short too -- but I quality-wise, the album was worth the wait, paricularly for "Outside" and "Hoodie." 

37. Jack White - Fear of the Dawn
People who wanted The White Stripes to have slicker drumming or less minimal arrangements were squares. But I will admit that I enjoy hearing Jack White cut loose with bigger ensembles, more intricately bugged-out arrangements, and virtuoso drumming from Daru Jones on this, his loudest solo album

38. Amber Mark - Three Dimensions Deep
Tennessee-born R&B singer Amber Mark has lived in India and collaborated with people like Dirty Projectors and Empress Of, and she brings that sort of worldly, wide ranging experience to her debut album, feels like there's huge star potential here. 

39. LÉON - Circles
I've loved the Swedish singer LÉON's voice since her debut single "Tired Of Talking" in 2016. About a year ago her Jonas Blue collaboration "Hear Me Say" became LÉON's biggest song since "Tired Of Talking" and entered the U.S. and UK charts, but it didn't seem to really do much to bring attention to her third album, which is a mellow gem with smokey Stevie Nicks-style vocals. 

40. Carrtoons - Homegrown
I love the bass, and I've played with some great bassists, and sometimes when making music you can't help but notice that these awesome basslines that you get to hear in isolation when putting a song together wind up kind of buried under all the other instruments. And I know, I know, that's kind of the point, you're supposed to feel bass more than you hear it, but sometimes I wish bassists got more room to breathe. And that's something I dig about what Carrtoons is doing, he's created pretty detailed tracks, but there's always space in the mix to hear what he's doing on the bass, even if he's not playing it as a 'lead' instrument in a flashy Les Claypool sense. 










41. Superchunk - Wild Loneliness
During Superchunk's initial burst of albums from 1990 to 2001, it seemed like they were on a steady slide from fast, breezy anthems to slower, more textured songs. When the band resumed making albums in 2010, they mostly kept it uptempo like the early days, culminating in the fiery protest punk of 2018's What A Time To Be Alive. But Wild Loneliness feels like album they probably would've made in 2003, the mellowest Superchunk album ever, with horn arrangements that are more comforting and autumnal than the tart experimental textures of 1999's Come Pick Me Up

42. Redveil - Learn 2 Swim
It's such a flex to release an album this good on your 18th birthday. I love that this kid is from here in Prince George's County, Maryland, I can't wait to see where he goes from here because the sky's the limit, his rapping and his production are growing by leaps and bounds with each release. 

43. Maren Morris - Humble Quest
Maren Morris and the late Michael Busbee were such a perfect team on her first two albums, I was wary that she might lose some of the magic on her third album. But she has pretty great chemistry with Greg Kurstin, too, and it's fun to one of pop's most versatile hitmakers really show off how well he can do straight-up country on this album. 

44. Taylor Swift - Midnights (3am Edition)
Most of the time when an album has a deluxe edition with a few extra songs, I listen to that version once and then I just put on the main album for every subsequent listen. But I definitely think some of the Aaron Dressner rejects from an earlier attempt at Midnights are better than the proper album, "Bigger Than The Sky" and "Would've, Could've, Should've" are definitely highlights of the entire project. 

45. Beabadoobee - Beatopia
There was kind of a wide stylistic gulf between the mellow lo-fi EPs that Beabadoobee built her fanbase with and the crunchy retro "120 Minutes" riffs of her 2020 debut album Fake It Flowers. And the follow-up album makes a satisfying attempt to present both ends of Beatrice Kristi Luas's range as points on a continuum, along with some new approaches that arise from collaborations with The 1975's Matt Healy and PinkPantheress. 

46. Willie Nelson - A Beautiful Time
A lot of us won't live to see 89 years old, and certainly most of us will never lives quite so full as Willie Nelson has. So I find something very valuable in one of the world's greatest songwriters still sitting down and writing new tunes, when he certainly doesn't need to but simply wants to, and telling us what life is like from that unique vantage point in wry, reflective songs like "I Don't Go To Funerals" and "Energy Follows Thought."

47. Madeline Edwards - Crashlanded
Madeline Edwards has a big distinctive voice, has toured with people like Chris Stapleton, and her debut album sounds like a million bucks. Crashlanded hasn't gotten a lot of attention yet, but if it doesn't break big in 2023, Nashville is fucking up. 

48. Jarv Is - This Is Going To Hurt (Original Soundtrack)
The 2020 debut by Jarvis Cocker's new band Jarv Is, Beyond The Pale, left me a little cold, it was a rare miss from something that I think has pretty consistently made spectacular records over the last 30 years. But the BBC series "This Is Going To Hurt," a dark comedy about the grim realities of hospital work, seems to have really brought out the best in Cocker, whose acidic sense of humor matches the show perfectly. 

49. Future - I Never Liked You
Future's track record is so solid and his hit list is so long at this point that I don't even feel invested in how one album or another does. But he just keeps running up the score, and by some measures I Never Liked You was his biggest album ever, which is remarkable considering that people tried to play him off as a flash in the pan over a decade ago. Longtime members of Future's deep bench of ace producers like Southside, TM88 and Wheezy are present, but the relative rookie ATL Jacob puts in work like he's got something to prove. 

50. Brent Faiyaz - Wasteland
This album would be so much higher on the list if there were less than 11 minutes of skits on it. I dont think an album has been dragged down by skits this badly since Late Registration. The songs are good, though. 
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment