TV Diary






As rare as it is that music biopics are pulled off well, it's even harder to tell the story of a fictional musical act, create plausible characters that could exist in musical history and give them decent original songs. I've already seen "Daisy Jones & The Six" get harshly scrutinized by music lovers and unfavorably compared to Almost Famous (which is a charming movie that has grown on me over the years, but I would still say it's about half as good as That Thing You Do!). But I have to say, I like "Daisy Jones & The Six" so far, the story is engaging enough and the music is good. It was probably smart for Amazon to release the first tree episodes together, since Daisy and Billy don't meet until halfway through the third episode, and their personal and musical chemistry is supposed to be the center of the entire story -- up until that point it can feel a little aimless at times watching their seperate parallel stories. I saw several Riley Keough movies before I ever realized that she's Elvis Presley's granddaughter, so it's kind of fun to see her play a rock star and embrace her birthright (apparently she was in The Runaways too, totally forgot about that). Timothy Olyphant has a small supporting role and it's impossible not to wish he was in the show a lot more, but I do like the cast. Fleetwood Mac is a clear inspiration here and it's hard not to feel a lot of affection for Suki Waterhouse's Christine McVie-type character. 

Christoph Waltz is one of my favorite actors currently working so I was pretty excited to see he's starring in an Amazon series. And "The Consultant" is one of the most enjoyably strange shows I've seen in a while. Waltz plays a mysterious consultant who shows up to run a mobile game company after the CEO's sudden death, and the entire show is basically through the eyes of the only two employees who realize how odd and dangerous the guy is and try to figure out what's going on. It reminds me a lot of one of my favorite shows of the last few years, "Servant," in that it keeps making things more bizarre and unlikely without going entirely into the realm or fantasy/sci-fi or explaining everything, and also frequently works on the level of a very dark satire. 

Given that CBS's "Ghosts" is one of the most watched new sitcoms of the past couple years, "Not Dead Yet" feels at least like partially ABC's attempt to do a similarly whimsical show about a young woman who suddenly starts seeing and talking to dead people that nobody else can see. But it has a great cast (including Lauren Ash from "Super Store," Hannah Simone from "New Girl," and Rick Glassman from "As We See It") and an entertaining gallery of guest actors playing the recently deceased (including Martin Mull and Langston Kerman from "Bust Down").  And the most recent episode was really unexpectedly moving, I appreciate that they're willing to tug the heartstrings a little and not just be a zany high concept sitcom. 

"The Art" is a pretty straightforward SyFy show: a Noah's Ark-style spaceship holding the only surviving humans is headed to another inhabitable planet after leaving Earth, but they're running out of food and supplies and having one crisis or another to argue about and try to solve in every episode. The special effects aren't great but I kind of like the classic sci-fi premise, almost feels like a more serious version of "Avenue 5." 

The angriest I have ever made a commenter on this blog was when I watched a couple of episodes of "Friday Night Lights" and then wrote dismissively about it. Since then I have enjoyed and faitfully watched a couple of other Jason Katims shows, "Parenthhood" and "As We See It," but his latest show brings back everything I found kind of portentous and emotionally manipulative about "Friday Night Lights" and then some. In the first episode, an airplane crashes, and then the rest of the series follows the only survivor, a 12-year-old boy named Edward, and the intersecting lives of the various loved ones of people who died on the plane. Some of the cast, including Connie Britton, is very good, but some of the characters are kind of insufferable and some of the stories just feel hopelessly contrived, it's watchable but I never feel like my time was well spent watching it. 

A pretty good Netflix show based on a YA book series about teenage ghost hunters in London, good charismatic cast, decent visual effects and stylish lighting.

I'm glad Charlie Cox is going to play Daredevil again, he's great in that role. Unfortunately, I'm still at that point where I only see him as that character, so the whole time I watched this Netflix spy thriller miniseries I mostly just saw him as Matt Murdock, even though he gets to speak in a British accent in this. 

When "Your Honor" first aired two years ago, I thought it was a pretty gripping New Orleans crime drama miniseries. But the finale, where all the storylines converged into one eye-rollingly poetic coincidence, left a bad taste in my mouth. That said, I was happy to hear they decided to bring it back for a second season, because the cast and all the character dynamics still had a lot of potential and I kind of had a "what now?" feeling after the first season ended. And this season has been really good so far, I particularly like how Sofia's baby and her bond with Michael have unexpectedly become the new emotional center of the show, and how the death of Michael's wife, which wasn't painted as suspicious before, is now an important subplot. 

The third season of "Home Economics" recently wrapped up in 13 episodes, when the second season was 22 episodes -- I don't know if that's a sign that things are not well and the show may not be renewed. But it's definitely one of the better network sitcoms right now, I liked the episodes where they kind of feinted at the idea of Conner becoming the broke sibling but it turned out he just lost have his fortune and still has massive amounts of money. 

The first season of "Party Down" was one of my favorite shows of the 2000s, the second season was on my favorite TV of the 2010s list, and with the new revival of the show, it could conceivably make my lists of the best television of three different decades with just three seasons. "Party Down" was always a hilariously depressing show about ambitious people being stuck in a dead end job, so that's ramped up by having the same characters back or still in the same place over a decade later, although Lizzy Caplan's character gets to be the one who made it out by virtue of her busy schedule working

k) "Dragon Age: Absolution"
A decent animated fantasy series on Netflix, but I can't help but compare it unfavorably to "The Legend of Vox Machina," which has a lot more personality. 

It's weird to see a kids' show on Disney+ with "devil" and I'd never heard of the Devil Dinosaur comics created by Jack Kirby. But I like this show, my kid watched every episode one weekend, definitely one of the few comic adaptations that really retains a comic book aesthetic in a cool way. 

m) "Copenhagen Cowboy"
I'm not a particular fan of Nicolas Winding Refn, and his particular flashy style-over-substance approach works much better in feature films than series television. But this Netflix series felt less indulgent than his previous TV project "Too Old To Die Young," felt like he toned his whole vibe down a little for something slightly quieter and more dialogue-driven. 

n) "Lady Voyeur"
A Brazilian erotic thriller on Netflix, found it surprisingly boring to be honest. 

This Austrian show on Netflix (which goes by the great title "Totenfrau" in Austria) is about an undertaker who investigates her husband's death, pretty good moody mystery show. 

This Paramount+ docuseries about 'the reign, ruin and resurrection of soft rock' is one of those snarky VH1-style shows full of celebrities making wisecracks about '70s and '80s pop that manages to feel even more obnoxious than if they'd called it 'yacht rock.' There's a pseudo-historical overview that's pretty surface-level and often rings false, and it's the first time I've seen Anthony Fantano do talking head segments on TV (but probably not the last). Some of the little biography segments about Dan Hill, Captain & Tennille, and Ray Parker Jr. had interesting stories, and Rupert Holmes saying "I had never had a pina colada in my life" when he wrote "Escape" was pretty funny. But in general, the smug voiceover just gave the whole thing a terrible vibe. 

A Disney+ show where an absurdly fit movie star goes around the world doing crazy physical challenges and basically pursuing human perfection, hard for me to really relate to while sitting on my couch eating snacks but Hemsworth is a pretty likable dude, this show is more pleasant to watch than it would be with a lot of other actors as its subject. 

New York Magazine has a column called Sex Diaries, with anonymous contributors writing about a week of their life and whatever sexual activity they have in those 7 days. I've read the column a few times here and there, and it's a weird read, sometimes the person is a good write and sometimes it's like a softcore Penthouse Forum, I never really know what to take away from this vague window into the intimate lives of strangers. The HBO series is a completely different thing because there's no anonymity, you've got cameras actually showing somebody's sex life for a week, and it feels a little less introspective and a little more voyeuristic. I almost wish they adapted it more like Amazon's series based on NYT's Modern Love column, where they just took columns and adapted them into scripted episodes with actors. 

I know I always say this, but I'm really just not a fan of documentaries that feature lots of dramatizations of the story with actors. I feel like you should go full doc or full drama, docudramas always feel like an unsatisfying mishmash to me. 

Sally McNeil is a bodybuilder who murdered her husband on Valentine's Day, and she participated in the Netflix docuseries about her. Always feels a little creepy and ethically gray to tell a story like this partly from the killer's POV, but it felt like one of the rare Netflix docuseries where it was actually a noteworthy story told well. 

This definitely isn't the first Netflix reality show I've seen about real estate agents but I don't know if I'd be able to tell you the difference between this one and the other one(s). 

It's crazy that there have been this many dozens of cooking competition shows before someone finally got the bright idea to name one "Pressure Cooker." Pretty enjoyable show, I always thinking cooking is one of the best professions to depict in reality TV. 

My son and I enjoyed the show "LEGO Masters," so I thought he might also be into this show where people create stuff with Play-Doh, but it didn't hold the same interest for him. I enjoy that a show like this exists, though. 

About a year ago Fox aired the widely mocked show "Alter Ego" that was a singing competition where people sang backstage with CGI avatars representing them onstage. This Netflix show is more or less the same thing except people are dancing with the avatars mimicking their movements, which seems like a slightly better use of this ridiculous technology. 

Another funny little kid-friendly reality competition show I watch with my son, a Mexican show on Netflix. 

A burgeoning trend in reality TV is shows where entitled upper class zoomers get their comeuppance by signing up for a show where they party and have fun and then find out they have to actually do something difficult. Last year there was the odiously titled wildlife survival show "Snowflake Mountain," and now this Italian show takes a bunch of young adults to the Mexican Riviera to party all summer, and then they find out they have to compete at summer jobs. It feels like these shows are all fueled by generational resentment and they're aimed at sneering boomers, it's weird. 
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment