Monthly Report: April 2023 Singles

 







1. Lainey Wilson - "Heart Like A Truck"
Lainey Wilson currently has two songs with "truck" in the title in the top 10 on country radio, which seems like it should automatically qualify her for some kind of special award at the CMAs. The other one, HARDY's "Wait In The Truck," is merely okay (a real accomplishment given some of the horrors in HARDY's catalog). But "Heart Like A Truck" is a great Jay Joyce production that manages to make its awkward simile feel rousing, although that "runs on dreams and gasoline" line sure is a strained mix metaphor (I always wondered if Pavement's "Heaven Is A Truck" was a parody of country music -- if it was, "Heart Like A Truck" would've functioned just as well as the title). The sheer force of the hook and Wilson's voice really elevate the song's premise, though, and of course I love that mellotron on the bridge. Here's the 2023 singles Spotify playlist I add songs to every month. 

2. Coco Jones - "ICU"
When I named What I Didn't Tell You by Coco Jones my #1 EP of 2022 a couple months ago, I accurately predicted that "ICU" would probably hit the carts in 2023. I didn't realize that Coco Jones is playing Hilary Banks on "Bel-Air," though, it's cool to see her singing and acting careers both flourishing at the same time. DJ Camper has been making hits for over a decade now, definitely one of R&B's most underrated producers.

3. Ari Lennox - "Waste My Time"
"Pressure" became a hit a year and a half ago, so it feels like it's taken forever for Ari Lennox to get another Age/Sex/Location single on the radio (I think it was a mistake to push a song featuring Summer Walker when there was already a Summer f/ Ari song on the charts). So I'm glad that "Waste My Time" has taken off, definitely one of my favorites on the album. 

4. Kelsea Ballerini - "If You Go Down (I'm Goin' Down Too)" 
In February, Kelsea Ballerini released a headline-grabbing EP about her recent divorce, and I wondered if she was going to shift focus to that project and stop promoting her excellent 2022 album Subject To Change. So I'm pleased that the album's subversively funny second single has continued to rise up the country airplay chart and recently got a great video and a bold performance featuring drag queens at the CMT Awards. 

5. Phony Ppl - "Nowhere But Up"
When Phony Ppl first broke through on R&B radio with "Fkn Around" a couple years ago, it was just exciting to see an R&B band besides The Internet getting traction, I wish there were a lot more in the mainstream like back in the '80s. "Nowhere But Up" definitely has a bit of an '80s vibe that works for them, too. 

6. Bailen - "Call It Like It Is"
Bailen's debut Thrilled To Be Here was one of my favorite albums of 2019 and I'm really happy a follow-up is finally coming next month. The three songs released so far all great, especially "Call It Like It Is," which is kind of a sleek thing with a prominent bassline and a fat synth riff on the chorus, feels like a strong little step towards something that could get them more mainstream visibility, which I would love for them. 

7. Demi Lovato - "Still Alive"
I'm glad that Demi Lovato is staying a hard rock lane after last year's Holy Fvck, and it was pretty inspired to pair her up with Mike Shinoda to write a song for the latest Scream movie. Shinoda has done solo stuff since Linkin Park ended but I could see him doing really well as a Travis Barker type who writes and produces for other bands or acts who want to go in a rock direction. 

8. Jonas Brothers - "Wings"
Jonas Brothers have always had an up-and-down career of hits and misses and I never really understand why some songs hit big and others don't -- their last album's lead single "Sucker" went straight to #1 and their upcoming album's lead single "Wings" missed the charts. I really like it, though, it running under 2 minutes is surprising but it works. The video stars Haley Lu Richardson, who apparently mentioned being a huge Jonas Brothers fan while "The White Lotus" and got to meet and become friends with them, the video is super charming because she just seems to be having the greatest time. 

9. Beabadoobee - "Perfect Pair"
Powfu's "Death Bed" is still, much to my chagrin, by far Beabadoobee's biggest commercial success. But 9 months after the release of Beatopia, "Perfect Pair" has crept up past "Care" to become Beabadoobee's biggest solo hit on alternative radio, and it's not a song that jumped out at me back when the album came out but it's a good one. 

10. Wet Leg - "Angelica"
Wet Leg's two biggest songs, "Chaise Longue" and "Wet Dream," are catchy but both have lyrics that make my eyes roll straight out of my head. I wish "Angelica" was as popular as those songs because I think it's got their best chorus and I can live with its lyrics ("You've got sex appeal but I don't wanna follow you on the 'gram" only makes me cringe a little). 

The Worst Single of the Month: Portugal. The Man - "Dummy"
Portugal. The Man's one big hit, 2017's "Feel It Still," has aged terribly for me, I actively change the station when it comes on the radio. And the lead single to their upcoming album feels like more of the same irritating chirpy falsetto pop rock, with the added irritant of an incredibly obnoxious loop of voices going "duhh duhh." 
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment