TV Diary






This Apple TV+ series starring LaKeith Stanfield is pretty unique and intriguing, effective at different points as a love story, a tragedy, and some kind of supernatural horror. It's based on a novel but I'm kind of happy to just go along with this strange tale having no idea where it's all headed, but it's pretty damn dark. I have to wonder if someone from the Baltimore indie scene is involved in this show because Dan Deacon did the music and Samuel T. Herring of Future Islands plays a crucial supporting role -- if there's any musician you'd assume could be a talented actor just from their stage presence it's him, and he's unsurprisingly great in this. 

Another interesting sort of horror series with a primarily Black cast that's based on a novel, that's also a witty social satire about corporate racism and tokenism. I'm only three episodes in but interested to get through the rest and figure out what happened. 

This British crime drama aired on the BBC back in February and was just dumped on Hulu in the U.S. with absolutely no announcement or promotion. Not bad but I'm finding it a little dour after a couple episodes and not that curious to watch more. 

This Amazon Prime drama about a young British couple whose perfect life goes off the rails in a story of cheating and revenge is alright, not the most interesting story but the cast/storytelling/direction is solid. 

My 13-year-old son likes anime and went through a phase of watching a lot of "One Piece" a year or two back but I have no idea how many of the over a thousand episodes he actually got through. Seemed like one of the better animes I've seen as a non-fan, though, and I was curious to see if this new Netflix live action version would be received more warmly than the live action "Cowboy Bebop." And it totally has been, already getting a renewal for a second season. My son seems pretty indifferent about checking it out but I've enjoyed it so far, I think they found the right tone and visual style for pulling off live action anime. 

My wife read some of the Wheel of Time books but never finished the giant 14-book saga, so she's kind of amused that I'm still watching the Amazon series and trying to make sense of it, but it's quickly becoming background noise for me. I'm not a huge "Game of Thrones" person, but as my wife is fond of pointing out, the clothes looked realistically weathered and dirty, whereas the costumes on a lot of these other fantasy shows always seem a little too clean and a little too modern. 

Now halfway through watching the final season of Matt Groening's "Disenchantment," I have to say it never really delivered laughs as reliably as "Futurama" (to say nothing of "The Simpsons"), but I never had a bad time watching it, it's fun.  

It's funny that Gamera originated as a competitor to Godzilla and was never nearly as possible, but it's still chugging along as a franchise almost 60 years later. I like this new anime series on Netflix, it has a cool animation style. 

I probably saw every episode of "Tiny Toon Adventures" as a kid, but I don't have much nostalgia for it, it was a little embarrassing as a modern update of Looney Toons.. and Tom Ruegger went on to make shows that were a little more inspired and distinctively wacky ("Animaniacs," "Pinky and the Brain," "Freakazoid!"). But I thought I'd check out the new "Tiny Toons" reboot out of curiosity, and I just didn't dig it, don't like the new voices and Buster and Babs are siblings now, which makes them not being siblings in the old series feel creepy now. 

Watched a little of this with my kid the other day. The insanely long title with three colons is the most memorable thing about it, felt indistinguishable from every other Pokemon cartoon I've ever seen. I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it. 

It's funny to see a show like this out of South Africa that feels very much, culturally and in terms of the humor, like a college comedy in America would be, like there are reminders beyond the accents that it takes place very far away, but it's funny and relatable to the youth culture here. 

I would say I feel that even moreso watching this Saudi Arabian sitcom on Netflix, which is really funny at times, totally took me by surprise how good this show is. 

Another show that makes me realize how much American comedy tropes have spread around the world, it feels like a Brazilian "Brooklyn Nine-Nine," not as funny as "Tahir's House" but has its moments, is pretty likable. 

On the other hand, it feels like America has plenty of its own shows about, like, the hero's journey of teenagers who want to become famous musicians, and this show about a Romani girl who moves to Poland and aspires to be a rapper, I dunno, not an interesting story to me, the European hip-hop scene just kind cracks me up, I can't help but feel a little dismissive of it. 

I totally understand that soap operas and telenovelas have a lot of episodes because they are daily, but it feels weird to see that adapt to streaming era, where Netflix can release 65 episodes of a show like "Miss Adrenaline" all at once. I watched a couple, Juanita Molina is absolutely gorgeous, and a woman posing as her identical twin to solve her disappearance is a pretty good premise (I guess they kind of do that in Glass Onion but whatever). I don't think I'd ever have it in me to watch every episode, though. 

I was not familiar with Bernard Tapie, the French businessman-turned-entertainer-turned-politician-turned-convicted criminal that this Netflix miniseries is about. But he's certainly a familiar and fascinating kind of figure, kind of depressing to think about how every country seems to have guys like this. 

I was kind of surprised to learn this Spanish miniseries on Netflix about a murdered police officer is based on a true story, because it's all so tawdry, with lots of sex scenes. Still, it's a pretty entertaining show, I like it. 

This Mexican series on Netflix feels very "Desperate Housewives," at least in terms of the story, tonally it feels a little more compelling, a little more based in the recognizable real world.  

This Korean show is kind of a weird sci-fi mystery romance where a woman who's mourning the loss of her boyfriend magically time travels back to 1988 and becomes a teenager again and meets someone who looks like her boyfriend. I kind of wish American TV did this kind of dreamy high concept stuff more often. 

This German series seems to have the most buzz of Netflix's recent foreign imports, pretty gripping story of a woman and child who are found after escaping some man keeping them in captivity but I assume there's some kind of strange twist or reveal I haven't gotten to yet. 

This Brazilian dating show on Amazon matches people up based on their zodiac signs. I feel like it's a matter of time before there's an American version of this show or something like it and I'm not looking forward to it, if there's one thing I'm a judgmental snob about, it's people who take astrology super seriously, I really think it's some quack shit that people use to judge each other without any meaningful facts or experiences. 

Now, this Japanese dating show is kind of a cool idea that I would like to see done in America -- five men and five women who are looking for love are put together, but one of the women is 'the wolf,' a saboteur who lies and manipulates and tries to avoid becoming involved in anyone else or being found out by the others. Silly but entertaining. 

I've loved Natural Geographic animal docs my whole life, this new one on Disney+ has some excellent camerawork and a cheerful young British guy as the host. 

This Netflix nature docuseries is pretty good, if a step below "Animals Up Close," with some occasionally nasty footage of predators catching their prey. 

A Hulu miniseries about a man in Australia whose death was ruled a suicide when his body was found at the bottom of a cliff, and his brother's mission to find out what really happened and figure out if it wasn't a suicide, haven't finished yet but I like these kinds of stories where someone with a tragedy in their family is driven to get justice for them, even when the story is dark and sad it's kind of inspiring to see them refuse to give up. 

z) "Spy Ops" 
This Netflix series is a pretty interesting look at famous espionage missions by the CIA, MI6, other countries, no America-centric patriotic biases dominating the narratives, impressive and interesting stuff. 
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment