Deep Album Cuts Vol. 326: Cypress Hill







Cypress Hill's biggest album Black Sunday turned 30 this past summer, and I wrote several pieces for Spin as part of their coverage of that anniversary: a track-by-track breakdown of the album, and rankings of their albums and TV performances. So while I was just listening to a ton of Cypress Hill over the last few months, I put together a deep cuts playlist. 

Cypress Hill album cuts (Spotify playlist):

1. Stoned Is The Way Of The Walk
2. Hole In The Hand
3. Tres Equis
4. Ultraviolet Dream
5. Shoot 'Em Up
6. Hits From The Bong
7. I Wanna Get High
8. A To The K
9. What Go Around Come Around, Kid
10. Break 'Em Off
11. Real Thing (with Pearl Jam)
12. I Love You, Mary Jane (with Sonic Youth)
13. Strictly Hip Hop
14. No Rest For The Wicket
15. Stoned Raiders
16. (Goin' All Out) Nothin' To Lose
17. Checkmate
18. Get Out Of My Head
19. Valley Of Chrome
20. Red, Meth & B (featuring Method Man and Redman)
21. Last Laugh (featuring Prodigy and Twin Gambino)
22. Light It Up
23. Put Em In The Ground
24. Takeover

Tracks 1, 2, 3 and 4 from Cypress Hill (1991)
Track 5 from Juice (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (1991)
Tracks 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 from Black Sunday (1993)
Tracks 11 and 12 from Judgment Night: Music From The Motion Picture (1993)
Tracks 13, 14 and 15 from Cypress Hill III: Temples of Boom (1995)
Tracks 16 and 17 from Cypress Hill IV (1998)
Tracks 18 and 19 from Skull & Bones (2000)
Track 20 from Stoned Raiders (2001)
Track 21 from Till Death Do Us Part (2004)
Track 22 from Rise Up (2010)
Track 23 from Elephants On Acid (2018)
Track 24 from Back In Black (2022)

I feel like there's now this very entrenched narrative about mid-'90s hip hop and who the major players were, like Biggie and 2Pac and Nas, that kind of glosses over how huge groups like Cypress Hill and Bone Thugs were. Cypress Hill's reach was massive, although I still pretty specifically associate the group with my middle school friend Nic, who was one of the first kids I knew who loved hip hop so much that he got bored of rock and made fun of the bands I listened to. I also have a deeper appreciation for DJ Muggs now, he definitely deserves more props as one of the greatest crate digger '90s rap producers. I like the song "Strictly Hip Hop" in part because there's a great radio show named after it here in Baltimore that I've guested on a couple times. 

I remember how the Judgment Night soundtrack was this exciting novelty when it first came out, in the early days of rap/rock, even though I knew nobody who'd seen the movie (has anybody, really? It may as well not exist as anything but an album). And Cypress Hill was notable for being the only group that appeared on the album twice, on songs with two of my favorite bands of the '90s. It's funny to listen to Cypress Hill as someone who doesn't really like weed, I've always been around a lot of smokers and feel sort of steeped in weed culture, but I don't enjoy smoking it, it's just not my thing. 
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment