My Top 50 Albums of 1967

 





Here's the Spotify playlist with one song from each album:

1. Aretha Franklin - I Never Loved A Man The Way I Love You
2. The Who - The Who Sell Out
3. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Axis: Bold As Love
4. The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
5. The Kinks – Something Else By The Kinks
6. Pink Floyd – The Piper At The Gates of Dawn
7. The Velvet Underground & Nico - The Velvet Underground & Nico
8. The Doors - The Doors
9. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced
10. Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell - United
11. Cream - Disraeli Gears
12. Love – Forever Changes
13. Pharoah Sanders – Tauhid
14. Van Dyke Parks – Song Cycle
15. Jefferson Airplane – Surrealistic Pillow
16. The Rolling Stones - Between The Buttons
17. Nina Simone – Silk & Soul
18. Bob Dylan - John Wesley Harding
19. The Turtles – Happy Together
20. Laura Nyro – More Than A New Discovery
21. The Four Tops – Reach Out
22. Merle Haggard - I'm A Lonesome Fugitive
23. Lalo Schifrin – Music from Mission: Impossible (Original Television Soundtrack)
24. The Beach Boys – Wild Honey
25. Captain Beefheart And His Magic Band - Safe As Milk
26. The Byrds – Younger Than Yesterday
27. Sonny Rollins – East Broadway Run Down
28. Nico – Chelsea Girl
29. Jake Holmes – “The Above Ground Sound” of Jake Holmes
30. Tim Buckley – Goodbye And Hello
31. Buddy Guy – Left My Blues In San Francisco
32. The 13th Floor Elevators – Easter Everywhere
33. James Brown and the Famous Flames – Cold Sweat
34. Grateful Dead – Grateful Dead
35. Bobbie Gentry – Ode To Billie Joe
36. The Impressions – The Fabulous Impressions
37. John Coltrane – Expression
38. Aretha Franklin - Aretha Arrives
39. Leonard Cohen - Songs of Leonard Cohen
40. Frank Sinatra and Antonio Carlos Jobim – Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim
41. The Rolling Stones - Their Satanic Majesties Request
42. Miles Davis – Miles Smiles
43. Thelonious Monk – Straight, No Chaser
44. Sun Ra and His Myth Science Arkestra – Cosmic Tones For Mental Therapy
45. The Beatles – Magical Mystery Tour
46. Waylon Jennings – Waylon Sings Ol’ Harlan
47. The Mothers of Invention – Absolutely Free
48. Dolly Parton – Hello, I’m Dolly
49. The Cannonball Adderley Quintet – Mercy, Mercy, Mercy! Live at “The Club”
50. George Jones – Walk Through This World With Me

I will note, as I go into an era full of albums by UK-based bands that were often released in America with completely different tracklists, usually adding non-album singles, that I am defaulting to the canonical UK versions. That will actively hurt some albums' standings here, and Are You Experienced, Between the Buttons, and Magical Mystery Tour in particular would all be ranked higher if I'd gone with the American versions. But the Jimi Hendrix Experience in '67 may be the only time I've put two albums by the same artist in my top 10 for a year, I really had to put both of them in there. 
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment