TV Diary
a) "Youth"
There's nothing groundbreaking about Sharon Horgan's new HBO show, she plays a divorced woman in her 50s trying to have an active sex life, but the first two episodes were really good, sharp writing, a solid grown up comedy, and Aran Murphy is a standout as her troubled son. Damian Lewis had a really funny scene in the first episode, which became even funnier when I realized in the second episode that he was playing a ridiculous version of himself.
b) "Brothers"
Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey have been friends and frequent co-stars for decades, and at some point they raised the possibility that they might actually be half-brothers -- apparently McConaughey's mother had been intimate with Harrelson's father. And this Apple TV comedy is a scripted, fictionalized version of their friendship and their realization about their possible familial link. It's about as flimsy and low stakes as a streaming series headlined by two movie stars can be, but it's amiable and entertaining, McConaughey gets to poke fun at his own iffy political ambitions, Lisa Gilroy continues her recent run of scene-stealing guest appearances, and Natalie Martinez, playing McConaughey's wife, seems to become more outrageously beautiful with every passing year.
c) "Last Seen"
I've seen a lot of books that take place in other countries get Americanized in adaptations, but this is one rare example of an American novel, The Dispatcher, turned into an Australian series. I've seen Patrick Brammall in comedy as much as drama, I feel like he's a little bland as a dramatic lead, but this show has a reasonably compelling story.
I think this is at least the fourth British miniseries based on Agatha Christie books that I've watched and enjoyed, I should probably just read her books sometime. The source material is obviously modernized, in this iteration, Tommy and Tuppence used to date I guess in college, and they run into each other the night of a murder, and he's a writer and she's a true crime podcast listener, and they decide to investigate together, solve the crime, and become detectives together. Antonia Thomas and Josh Dylan are great and have real chemistry, good show.
e) "Crew Girl"
A nice Canadian YA show on Netflix about a teenage girl who joins the boys' rowing team, pretty charming, I can see why it's already been renewed.
"Snowfall" was a pretty solid show, I felt like they stuck the landing with that last season, but it didn't occur to me that they could tell more stories in the crack era Los Angeles cinematic universe. The first episode was decent, but it's hard to tell fictional stories about the music industry or aspiring musicians, for a lot of reasons, especially when you're putting fictional people/music in a very revered time and place in musical history.
g) "Neagley"
"Reacher" is the kind of show that is so focused on the title character's roaming adventures that it doesn't seem like an obvious launching pad for spinoffs, as popular as it is. But Frances Neagley (Maria Sten) is literally the only character besides Jack Reacher who's been in more than half the episodes of the show, so it makes sense that the spinoff would be about her. The first episode that I watched seemed promising, although it felt like deja vu that it, like the most recent season of "Reacher," opens with a sibling of a law enforcement type person dying of an apparent suicide involving mass transit under suspicious circumstances.
Tommy Davidson's such a talented guy, I always thought he could've had a career like Jamie Foxx's with the skills and the range he has. Varnell Hill is a talk show host character that Davidson played on two episodes of "Martin" 30 years ago, kind of random for him to get a spinoff now. I actually like the parts that are more or less like Davidson hosting a talk show more than the kind of lazy sitcom parts.
I don't know why I keep watching new Ryan Murphy shows thinking maybe this will be a good one and then they just seem even cheaper and more slapdash than usual, he's really the white Tyler Perry. This one feels like a waste of Rebecca Hall and Vicky Krieps, like the way the first episode opened with a flash-forward to a bloody murder instead of building to that climax felt so thirsty and hacky.
A show with Jennifer Connelly and Jimmi Simpson in it can probably count on me watching every episode they ever make. I'm not super into the second season so far, though, I mostly think about how "Counterpart" did this parallel universe thing with a lot more style and I wish it hadn't been canceled.
k) "Golden Axe"
Apparently Golden Axe was a Sega arcade game back in the late '80s, but I have no memory of it from my arcade days. But everything is IP so there's a animated show based on it on Paramount+, and as 'adult animated sitcoms' go, it's actually pretty good, Matthew Rhys and Danny Pudi in the voice cast and the writing made me laugh a little.
l) "Jay-Z in 8"
I wrote a lot about Jay-Z's catalog just this year, in addition to following all the excitement of his return to performing this year, but this docuseries of Jay just listening to songs from his catalog with Rick Rubin is just a treasure trove for Jay-Z fans, I'm enjoying it so much. Rubin gets a lot of (somewhat deserved) skepticism these days for his politics and his working methods as a producer, but the series that he did in this style with Paul McCartney a few years ago "McCartney 3, 2, 1" was really enjoyable and this one is even better. Just a lot of interesting jewels for fans, like that "Encore" was almost The Black Album's lead single but Kevin Liles and Young Guru were unenthusiastic so he went with "Change Clothes," or how Biggie's last line on "Brooklyn's Finest" was "most hated in California" but Jay took it off trying to stay out of the east coast/west coast stuff.
We're now getting true crime shows about true crime buffs becoming obsessed with cold cases and trying to overturn verdicts. In this case, a couple was convinced that a woman convicted of killing her ex-husband was actually innocent, but when her case was retried, she wound up evicted again. I actually feel bad for the documentarians who made this not knowing how it would end and probably thinking it would be a more exciting ending with the true crime nerds vindicated.
A decent nature docuseries on Disney+, but it's just funny to think of species like lions or pandas as "iconic," such a funny lens.
o) "The Girls"
Khloe Kardashian exec produced this "Keeping Up with the Kardashians"-style reality show about Kardashian-adjacent influencer ladies, it's kind of hilarious that they have a B-team.
I used to watch "The People's Court" in the Judge Wapner era as a kid because I liked the theme music, but the modern proliferation of courtroom shows is really a plague upon daytime TV, I loathe them. I kept catching this one while channel surfing recently and I'm just fascinated by how stupid it is to have a war tribunal-style trial with three judges for the usual landlord disputes and small theft claims.
Maybe I was a fool for thinking Kevin Hart interviewing athletes while they both sit in an ice bath wouldn't be a gratingly obnoxious show, but his "Hart to Heart" interviews could be good sometimes. These were all taped in front of a live audience during Fanatics Fest in July, so there's just a lot of Hart yelling and working the crowd and each episode is only 10-15 minutes, it's just a pretty annoying little piece of content.
r) "Soar High!"
"Soar High!" is a Korean drama with 15-minute episodes, which is a context where that can be kind of refreshing, since sometimes Korean shows I see on Netflix can have really long feature-length episodes. But they also made over 120 episodes of this in just six months, which seems kind of crazy, but it's called a "morning drama series" so maybe teenagers watched it before school? Decent show about gender disparity in aviation.
Another show with very short episodes, a Mexican thriller, which made for an interesting format, but I didn't really get into it.
This K-drama's title sounds vaguely kinky but it's a 50 First Dates-type premise with a woman suffering from memory loss and using sticky notes to remind herself of things. I kind of wish it was just a straightforward romcom without a whole crime drama element, though.
u) "Moria"
Moria Casan is apparently a big pop culture icon of Argentina, both an insult comic and a sex symbol, I'm not sure we really have a figure like that here. I enjoyed the show, Sofia Gala Castiglione is gorgeous.
A Thai romcom on Netflix about a teenager who aspires to be an indie rock star, which is just kind of an amusing premise to me.
This Indian series is one of the best imports I've seen on Netflix recently, well written dialogue and engaging characters.
A Korean horror comedy about a hotel heiress who can see ghosts, pretty cute show.
A very dour Japanese drama, didn't really stick with it long enough to see what the point of it all was.
A French action show about a tactical police unit, didn't care for it, pretty low production values.
Post a Comment