Monthly Report: June 2023 Singles







1. Libianca - "People"
"Free Mind" by Tems is on its 20th week at #1 on R&B radio. And of all the other Afrobeats songs that have crossed over to the American charts in recent memory, "People" is the one that I think kind of hits the same emotional notes as "Free Mind" and could have legs in the same way. In any event, great track. Apparently Libianca is from Cameroon and was on "The Voice" a couple years ago, hilariously Blake Shelton was her coach. Here's the 2023 singles Spotify playlist I add songs to every month. 

2. The 1975 - "Oh Caroline"
Matty Healy is the closest he's ever been to genuinely famous in America right now, but most of the attention is pretty negative as he's become the Olivia Wilde to Taylor Swift's Harry Styles in this year's public psychodrama of a pop stans being outraged that they can't control who their favorite singer dates. One of my favorite songs from Being Funny In A Foreign Language has been slowly climbing up the alt-rock radio charts all through that saga, and amusingly it stopped climbing this week just as headlines circulated that Swift and Healy have broken up. I'm kind of slotting "Oh Caroline" alongside "If You're Too Shy (Let Me Know)" in that I've watched the performance video on YouTube so many times that the studio version pales in comparison for me a little bit now, George Daniel is such an excellent drummer. 

3. Post Malone - "Chemical"
I didn't like Post Malone much as a white rapper with weak rhymes. But I like him a bit more as a pop/rock savant with a great ear for melody, and "Chemical" is the lead single from an upcoming album where he apparently played guitar on every song. 

4. Ashley McBryde - "Light On In The Kitchen"
The lead single to Ashley McBryde's upcoming 4th album is great, but so are the other two promo singles, "Learned To Lie" and "The Devil I Know," she really makes nothing but classics. 

5. Dua Lipa - "Dance The Night"
Future Nostalgia was ubiquitous for so long that it doesn't even feel like Dua Lipa's gone over three years between albums. And I was hoping the next thing we'd hear from her would feel a little more momentous than a soundtrack single that sounds like a Future Nostalgia outtake (in fact it probably is one, since Mark Ronson had produced some of the songs Dua Lipa worked on that didn't make the album). But it's a good one, I'll take it. 

6. Superstar Pride - "Painting Pictures"
"Painting Pictures" didn't really sound like an obvious radio song back when it first went viral on YouTube a few months ago, but it's really grown into a welcome presence on the radio. The sample of "Soon As I Get Home" by Faith Evans is, I think, the first resurgence of a song produced by Chucky Thompson since he passed away a couple years ago, nice to see his work still resonating. 

7. Kiana Lede f/ Ella Mai - "Jealous"
Kiana Lede's debut album Kiki was very underrated, I'm glad she's been releasing new singles lately and has another one on the way, and Ella Mai's voice is a nice complement to hers on this song. "I ain't gonna tell you to drop them other bitches but drop them other bitches/ I've never been jealous but fuck it, I'm jealous" is a great chorus. 

8. Carrie Underwood - "Hate My Heart"
As much as "Before He Cheats" is Carrie Underwood's legacy, she really doesn't throw herself into full-throated bangers often enough. And I wish "Hate My Heart," penned by the great Hillary Lindsey, had been Underwood's latest album's first single instead of the comparatively tame "Ghost Story." 

9. Kylie Morgan - "If He Wanted To He Would"
A promising first hit from a newer country singer, I guess the sentiment is pretty common these days but she crystallized it into a song pretty well. 

10. Tori Kelly - "Missin U"
8 years ago I wrote a Complex piece about 'songs of the summer' that ended with me trying to predict what could be the song of summer 2015, and Tori Kelly's Max Martin-produced major label debut single "Nobody Love" seemed like a pretty shrewd guess but man I was so wrong, that song just went nowhere. Tori Kelly has kept lurking around the fringes of show business, though, playing award shows and voicing a singing animal in a big animated movie, etc. I like her latest single, which very overtly goes for an early 2000s spaceship R&B vibe but doesn't lean too heavily on a fleeting interpolation of Craig David's "Fill Me In." 

The Worst Single of the Month: Lil Durk f/ J. Cole - "All My Life"
Lil Durk plugged along as one of the biggest rappers in Chicago with a relatively low national profile for a decade, and then three years ago he guested on a Drake single and became ubiquitous, mostly on other artist's singles, and released a couple platinum albums. We don't get nakedly ambitious bids for crossover acceptance from street rap guys much anymore, Polo G's "Bad Man (Smooth Criminal)" is the only one I can think of in recent years and he fell flat on his face with that one. "All My Life" is a big crossover bid that seems to be actually working but I just hate it: written with a bunch of pop hacks (Dr. Luke, Lunchmoney Lewis, R. City), kids singing the hook, vaguely 'conscious' lyrics, and one of those long, rambling J. Cole guest verses where he's all condescendingly paternalistic about the trials and tribulations of younger rappers. 
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment