Deep Album Cuts Vol. 341: Lana Del Rey


 


























Lana Del Rey is up for Album of the Year for the 2nd time at the Grammys, and she's headlining Coachella this year. So it feels a good time to look at the catalog of an artist I've never been been entirely at ease with, and give it some more serious consideration. 

Lana Del Rey album cuts (Spotify playlist):

1. Radio
2. This Is What Makes Us Girls
3. Diet Mountain Dew
4. Cola
5. Fucked My Way Up To The Top
6. Cruel World
7. 24
8. The Blackest Day
9. White Mustang
10. In My Feelings
11. Cinnamon Girl
12. Norman Fucking Rockwell
13. Love Song
14. Dark But Just A Game
15. Wild At Heart
16. If You Lie Down With Me
17. Cherry Blossom
18. Fishtail
19. Sweet

Tracks 1, 2 and 3 from Born To Die (2012)
Track 4 from the Paradise EP (2012)
Tracks 5 and 6 from Ultraviolence (2014)
Tracks 7 and 8 from Honeymoon (2015)
Tracks 9 and 10 from Lust For Life (2017)
Tracks 11, 12 and 13 from Norman Fucking Rockwell! (2019)
Tracks 14 and 15 from Chemtrails Over The Country Club (2020)
Tracks 16 and 17 from Blue Banisters (2021)
Tracks 18 and 19 from Did You Know That There's A Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd (2023)

I was a little baffled the first time I listened to "Video Games" after seeing it on many critics' lists of the best songs of 2011. And even though I'm very familiar with Lana Del Rey now and listened to most of these albums when they came out, I was pretty much just as baffled when I saw "A&W" on many critics' lists of the best songs of 2023. That's not to say I've never liked any of her music -- "West Coast" has always been my favorite song of hers, and I think Ultraviolence and Norman Fucking Rockwell are the albums that appeal to me most, I like her stuff more when it's piano or guitar-driven, some of the 'trap' beats on Lust For Life sound really embarrassing to me. 

I don't wanna be dismissive of Lana Del Rey, she might be the most influential female singer of the past decade, and a lot of artists I enjoy more like Billie Eilish and Olivia Rodrigo are heavily indebted to her. That said, I don't know if I'll ever be totally comfortable with Del Rey's vocal style and aesthetic, so much of it reminds me of Kristen Wiig's "SNL" character Shana. As far as the edgy alt-pop girls of the 2010s go, I tend to be more into Tove Lo, Charli XCX, and Halsey. 

On an intellectual level, I like when artists create such a stylized aesthetic and lyrical perspective that they almost become their own genre, and Lana Del Rey has arguably done that as well as Tom Waits or even Jimmy Buffett. And maybe her work is the insightful examination of American femininity that many critics say it is, I'm a man, I try to take music made by women seriously but I'm not gonna 'get' everything. I have trouble with some of her lyrics, even understanding that there's some camp or deliberate humor in there. "My pussy tastes like Pepsi cola"? Like, literally? That raises a lot of questions, some of them about your pH balance. Sometimes I'd put a song into this playlist and then hear her sing something like "baby you're so ghetto" and I just noped out and replaced it with another track. 

In a way I kind of feel bad for Lana Del Rey that, even though she's very successful and has several platinum and gold albums, her only big radio hits familiar to the general listening public are pretty unrepresentative flukes: a dance remix of "Summertime Sadness" and a cover of Sublime's "Doin' Time." So I kind of went into this wondering what an ideal Lana Del Rey radio hit that actually sounds like her other work would be, and I think it would be cool if something like "Radio" or "White Mustang" had been a big mainstream hit. 
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment