Deep Album Cuts Vol. 369: Tracy Chapman

 





I ranked Tracy Chapman's albums for Spin earlier this year after she performed on the Grammys, and while I was working on that piece I started putting together this playlist. 

Tracy Chapman album cuts (Spotify playlist):

1. Behind The Wall
2. If Not Now...
3. For My Lover
4. Freedom Now
5. Be Careful of My Heart
6. This Time
7. If These Are The Things
8. Open Arms
9. The Rape of the World
10. I'm Ready
11. At This Point in My Life
12. Nothing Yet
13. The Only One
14. Say Hallelujah
15. Happy
16. 3,000 Miles
17. Never Yours
18. Before Easter
19. For A Dream
20. I Did It All

Tracks 1, 2 and 3 from Tracy Chapman (1988)
Tracks 4, 5 and 6 from Crossroads (1989)
Tracks 7 and 8 from Matters Of The Heart (1992)
Tracks 9, 10 and 11 from New Beginning (1995)
Tracks 12 and 13 from Telling Stories (2000)
Tracks 14 and 15 from Let It Rain (2002)
Tracks 16, 17 and 18 from Where You Live (2005)
Tracks 19 and 20 from Our Bright Future (2008)

Since Chapman's earlier albums were her most commercially successful period, I really enjoyed exploring her later work and realizing how consistent she was. I ended up ranking Where You Live pretty high, I love Tchad Blake's production and hadn't realized he did a Chapman album, beautiful stuff. 

Bobby Womack played guitar on "Open Arms," which was never a single, but Chapman performed it on The Tonight Show and included it on her Greatest Hits album. Emmylou Harris sings a really nice harmony vocal on "The Only One." "Nothing Yet" appeared on my annual DJ mix of music in the 5/4 time signature this year. I compared "I Did It All" to "My Way" in my Spin piece, really felt like the right song to end the playlist on, although I hope Our Bright Future isn't Chapman's last album and she releases something else someday. 

I do a lot of work on events at the Kennedy Center, and a few months ago I worked on a Leonard Cohen tribute concert that was produced and hosted by Larry Klein. Klein has had a really interesting career in his own right (when I talked him, I mostly praised the Walter Becker album he produced, Circus Money). Klein produced Chapman's most recent album Our Bright Future, and also played bass all over her first three albums, including on "Fast Car." 
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment