On Wednesday I went to a show at the G-Spot for the 2nd time in the last couple weeks, to see The Evens. I hadn't gotten around to hearing their record yet, but I figured I'd check it out, since I've always had a fondness for the mumbly downtempo stuff on the later Fugazi records. I mean, the Instrument soundtrack, End Hits, when I'm in the right mood, that's my shit. And The Evens sounded pretty much like I expected them to. I think I liked the slower stuff better; whenever they started to rock out a little I couldn't help wishing Brendan Canty was there to really get it going. Before the show Ian was walking around wearing a little red porkpie hat, and I was disappointed that he didn't wear it during the set. It seems like this would be the perfect band for him to finally wear all his funny little hats onstage that he'd never get away with while playing a Fugazi show. Some of his spiels between songs were funny, although I cringed through his many broad and humorless rants about police and/or the government. I mean, I don't even remember him being that preachy at any of the few Fugazi shows I've seen or heard recordings of. And when both members of a band are sitting down on a stage that's less than 2 feet above the floor, it's pretty hard to see even the tops of their heads from a ways back. It was a nice show, though, pretty intimate. And I caught up with Tom at the show and talked for a bit after the band finished.

Labels:

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

OOoh i wish i knew you were going to go to that show. I think i may have figured more of a way to go to it. I bought the Evens CD a little while ago and i really dig it. Then again i think that was the night i have volleyball and was going to see Star Wars at midnight so i doubt it would have worked time wise. Glad you think it was cool. He's totally wearing a funky hat on that Burn To Shine DVD I have with a song from them. (I so know what you mean, when you can't help to yearn for more of the guys from Fugazi when listening to the Evens though)
 
andy from communist bakesale was also there... -mat
 
d'oh! mike I don't know why I didn't think to tell you about the show or see if you wanted to go. ah well.
 
Post a Comment