Movie Diary

1. Sign O' The Times
Considering that this is a concert film version of one of Prince's best and most canonized albums, it's surprising how little I've ever heard about it, even in Matos's SOTT book it gets just a passing mention. And I mean, it's not bad, if you can handle the hilariously pretentious dramatic vignettes that occasionally pop up between songs, although all in all it does kind of take away from the odd magic of the album itself. There are a few songs that the live renditions drop the ball on (the title track comes to mind), but there's also an amazing "If I Was Your Girlfriend", and performances that made me like songs I always kind of disliked or ignored like "Forever In My Life" and "Play In The Sunshine". And the sheer variety of different treatments of the songs highlights what I love about Sign O' The Times to begin with: the multitudes it contains.

2. Walk The Line
Covered on Powet Movies.

3. Casualties of Love: The Long Island Lolita Story
Holding the dubious distinction of being one of the most memorable ripped-from-the-headlines made-for-TV movies of all time, when this came on the Encore channel, I just had to watch it. And it was definitely worth it, from the laughably sympathetic rendering of Joey Buttafuoco, to Alyssa Milano's insane sweatpants cameltoe, to the surprisingly grisly depiction of Mary Jo's bloody head soaking the hospital bed pillow.

Labels: , ,

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

I [heart] when Zander talks about Prince... -Mat
 
Post a Comment