Prince - "I Would Die 4 U (Extended Version)" (mp3)
I'm not really gonna get into the debate about whether 3121 is worth the hype or just another fake comeback, but on the first listen I enjoyed it. Instead, let's talk about the 2-disc Ultimate compilation of Warner-era material that Rhino was going to put out this month, until Prince made them change the tracklist, and then push it back so as not to compete with the real new album, so it now has no certain release date. The most recent announced tracklist for it, cached here, is interesting because several of the tracks are dances mixes and extended remixes from the original 12"s instead of the better known radio or album versions. I've always been intrigued by all these alternate mixes Prince put out in the 80's, which are talked about in some detail in this ILM thread, without actually having heard many of them. But my homeboy Mat, always a dependable Prince fanatic, hooked me up with a couple, including this 10-minute version of one of my favorite Prince singles of all time, which isn't even one of the extended mixes set to appear on Ultimate. It's definitely more of a loose jam with a different structure than, say, the basic song with a longer outro like I expected, but there's some really fantastic bits in there.

Labels: ,

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment