Ruth Ruth - "Jerome" (mp3)

Ruth Ruth - "Julia, You Have No Heartbeat" (mp3)

My brother Zac and I used to subscribe to Alternative Press back in the mid-90's, before it went all nu-metal/emo and was a decent alt/indie rag that I thought was way better than Spin (and were way ahead of the post-Blender trend of cramming dozens of album reviews into every issue, but didn't really skimp on the wordcount in order to do so). Most of the subscription issues came with label samplers and singles attached, usually on cassette, because people still owned tape decks back then. Most of them were worthless, of course, but one that was so good that I managed to hold onto it for 10 years was the 2-song sampler for Ruth Ruth's The Little Death EP.

In '95, Ruth Ruth were one of a gazillion vaguely pop-punk bands that came out post-Green Day and had a minor alt-radio hit, in their case "Uninvited," which my brother liked and I kinda hated. After one album on American Recordings, Laughing Gallery, they jumped to Epitaph a year later for one EP, before jumping to RCA a couple years after that for their 2nd album. The Little Death, and its AP cassingle sampler, were wrapped in artwork made to look like the Catcher In The Rye paperback, and the sampler's promo hype paid a lot of lip service to influences that I was just beginning to get into in 1996, so it makes sense that those songs grew on me with time. After rocking "Jerome" and "Julia, You Have No Heartbeat" in my car deck for years and years, I finally checked out the rest of the EP recently, as well as Laughing Gallery, which have some good tunes but nothing I love as much as these two songs.

Labels: , ,

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment