Two Dollar Guitar - "The Wear And Tear Of Fear" (mp3)

There's a phrase that's been ringing in the back of my head lately, anytime I'm writing about a band whose old stuff I was crazy about, something that Harvell wrote in the Tool review that launched a thousand angry letters: "I find myself in the awkward position of trying to sell you on the merits of a deeply uncool band by telling you to go buy their last album instead." Substitute "obscure" for "uncool," but other than that, a perfect description of my struggle with, say, reviewing the new Two Dollar Guitar album for Stylus (of which the above is the title track and probably the best song therein). When I wrote a big post about TDG on here earlier this year, I had no idea that the new album was only 6 months away (my exact words were "I'm not holding my breath"), so in a way I'm just happy it exists. But in another, more accurate way, I wish Foljahn had recorded the album with a backing band. It may be a grower yet, but yeah, buy Burned And Buried or Weak Beats And Lame-Ass Rhymes instead. But they just announced a mess of tour dates (on TDG's MySpace), with Steve Shelley on drums and everything. I'm excited by the prospect of power trio versions of the new songs, even though the nearest date is in Arlington and I don't know if I'll bother to make that drive. I kind of feel like my days of interstate commuting for concerts are over.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment