the first 4 months of 2007

Albums:
1. Sloan - Never Hear The End Of It
2. Jarvis Cocker - Jarvis
3. Prodigy - Return Of The Mac
4. Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero
5. Ted Leo - Living With The Living
6. Redman - Red Gone Wild: Thee Album
7. Eleni Mandell - Miracle Of Five
8. Trans Am - Sex Change
9. Dinosaur Jr. - Beyond
10. Money Mark - Brand New By Tomorrow

So right now, my two favorite albums of 2007 were released in the artists' respective home countries in 2006, and then in the U.S. this year (I only added Jarvis to this list once I knew the record would finally be coming out here). I might play wait and see with critical consensus to see whether other people are considering them '07 releases by the end of the year, though (at least with Jarvis; I think Sloan will end up pretty underrated either way). Not really a lot of movement in the past month, though. I'm hoping that in May a lot of still will warrant shaking up my running tally (UGK, Parts & Labor, Swizz Beatz, etc.).

Singles
1. Swizz Beatz - “It’s Me Bitches”
2. R. Kelly f/ T.I. and T-Pain - “I’m A Flirt (Remix)”
3. Natasha Bedingfield - “I Wanna Have Your Babies”
4. Red Hot Chili Peppas - “Hump De Bump”
5. Kelly Rowland f/ Eve - “Like This”
6. My Chemical Romance - “Teenagers”
7. Amerie - “Gotta Work”
8. The Game f/ Kanye West - “Wouldn’t Get Far”
9. Vanessa Hudgens - “Say OK”
10. Maroon 5 - “Makes Me Wonder”
11. Relient K - “Must Have Done Something Good”
12. Muse - “Starlight”
13. Paul Wall f/ Jermaine Dupri - “I’m Throwed”
14. Papa Roach - “Forever”
15. DJ Khaled f/ Akon, T.I., Rick Ross, Fat Joe, Birdman and Lil Wayne – "We Taking Over"
16. Fergie f/ Ludacris - “Glamorous”
17. Fantasia - “When I See U”
18. Stephen Marley f/ Damien “Jr. Gong” Marley - “The Traffic Jam”
19. Bow Wow f/ T Pain - “Outta My System”
20. Fall Out Boy - “Thnks Fr Th Mmrs”

When I look at this list, I feel like one of those scuzzy contrarian critics who'll endorse the most disparate, illogical group of artists out of some misbegotten attempt at eclecticism or unpredictability. But I'm honestly just going with my ears here, and it's sounding like a really unpredictable, illogical year to me, as far as radio singles go. I'm liking a lot more stuff by people I never expected to like even one song by than the more credible old standbys. I can't help it if Fergie is practically the only artist lately that I've really liked three consecutive singles by! The only one I'm really embarrassed by, though, is the RHCP. They've been churning out boring ballads for so long that I'm strangely grateful that they've finally released a goofy funk song as a single, I mean it sounds like it could've been on Mother's Milk.

Labels:

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

>>When I look at this list, I feel like one of those scuzzy contrarian critics who'll endorse the most disparate, illogical group of artists out of some misbegotten attempt at eclecticism or unpredictability.


What the hell did you just say there?!?!?!
 
OK, that's not the clearest, most concise thing I've ever written, but I'm pretty sure the grammar and spelling are all correct. Basically I was just acknowledging that a lot of pop critics seem batshit crazy to me these days, and I'm afraid of coming off batshit crazy myself because of the motley crew of singles I listed.
 
Post a Comment