TV Diary

1. "Thank God You're Here"
It's pretty much impossible to talk about this newly imported improv comedy show without comparing it to "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" But I liked that show, so I'm happy to see something like it in prime time again, especially since it's based around having different performers every week, so it won't fall into the kind of rut that "Whose Line"'s longtime repertory players eventually seemed to drift into. The first episode was pretty funny, and I like that Dave Foley as the judge, as arbitrary as his role is, actually did pick the best performer of the night, Bryan Cranston (who I've always thought was by far the best thing about Malcom In The Middle) as the "winner." I'm sure my mileage will vary based on how much I like the guests and whether they're actual comics or improvisors and not just hapless actors, but with 4 guests per show there's bound to be someone on every week that will get me to tune in.

2. "Entourage"
The more I think about, the more paltry last Summer's run of "Entourage" episodes was, both in terms of laughs and plot development compared to the first two seasms, so I can't blame them for adding a bunch of episodes to the 3rd season a few months later to make up for it or strike while the iron's hot or whatever. The irony is that the new switch up of having Ari get fired will probably mean even more Ari in these episodes, when really I think he's better in small doses and it's really Johnny Drama that brings the funny, so hopefully they'll strike a better balance than they did in the first episode of this run. Carla Gugino is looking ridiculously hot, though, so that's a plus. Also, the music on this show has always been kind of corny and just a bit behind the curve, but it's really cheesy that the best they can do for a "hip, urban" soundtrack in 2007 is Outkast and N.E.R.D. songs that are well over 5 years old.

3. Human Giant
I always thought "The State" was pretty overrated, so I wasn't much interested in another sketch comedy show on MTV, let alone one with a couple of the least funny hacks of the many unfunny hacks on "Best Week Ever." Why can't Paul F. Tompkins get his own show instead of those guys and the trucker hat guy on "30 Rock"? Anyway I'm biased, but what little I've seen of this so far has been dreadful. The "camping weekend" sketch was funny, though.

4. American Idol
So Haley's gone now, that's kinda nice. I'm not really with the whole contrarian Sanjaya mania at all, and it kind of annoys me that all the attention over him staying longer than he deserves to it just going to keep him on the show even longer, but I really have to admit that the kid's got serious entertainment value. For a while it just looked like he was uncomfortable and didn't want to be there, but now he's kind of owning his craziness and it's a little more fun to watch. I'm a little bummed about Sligh and Gina being gone, both of them kinda earned their ticket home with bad performances or song choices, but I would've liked to see them both hang in for a couple more weeks and do some more songs. I'm so sick of Chris Richardson. Still riding for Jordin, though.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

I just started watching Entourage. All caught up. Agreed the 1st part of Season 3 was pretty weak.

Johnny Drama is my favorite character. He's completely insane.

What's up with the horrible neu-Jane's Addiction song? They need to change that shit.
 
Post a Comment