the first 3 months of 2007

Albums:
1. Sloan - Never Hear The End Of It
2. Ted Leo - Living With The Living
3. Prodigy - Return Of The Mac
4. Eleni Mandell - Miracle Of Five
5. Trans Am - Sex Change
6. Dinosaur Jr. - Beyond
7. Rich Boy - Rich Boy
8. Money Mark - Brand New By Tomorrow
9. Consequence - Don’t Quit Your Day Job
10. Nels Cline/Andrea Parkins/Tom Rainey - Downpour

So far this year, albums by aging but not ancient indie rockers have been treating me well, guys who are in their 30s or 40s and are making pretty similiar stuff to what they were doing 6 albums ago but not totally inferior to the old stuff either. Sloan gets the spirit award for going nuts and splattering every song idea they have into one album, though. Still barely anything in the way of rap albums on the shelves, and most of the ones scraping by on this list now probably won't be anywhere near it in 9 months.

Singles
1. R. Kelly f/ T.I. and T-Pain - “I’m A Flirt (Remix)”
2. Swizz Beatz - “It’s Me Bitches”
3. Natasha Bedingfield - “I Wanna Have Your Babies”
4. Fergie f/ Ludacris - “Glamorous”
5. The Game f/ Kanye West - “Wouldn’t Get Far”
6. Kelly Rowland f/ Eve - “Like This”
7. Mika - “Grace Kelly”
8. Young Jeezy f/ R. Kelly - “Go Getta”
9. Kanye West, Rakim, Nas and KRS One - “Classic”
10. DJ Khaled f/ Akon, T.I., Rick Ross, Fat Joe, Birdman and Lil Wayne – "We Taking Over"
11. Lil Mama - “Lip Gloss”
12. Incubus - “Anna Molly”
13. D.G. Yola - "Ain't Gon' Let Up"
14. DJ Unk - “2 Step”
15. Justin Timberlake - “What Goes Around...Comes Around”
16. Fall Out Boy - “This Ain’t A Scene, It’s An Arms Race”
17. Stephen Marley f/ Damien “Jr. Gong” Marley - “The Traffic Jam”
18. Three 6 Mafia f/ Chamillionaire - “Doe Boy Fresh”
19. Audioslave - “Revelations”
20. Saliva - “Ladies & Gentlemen”

I almost just made the top 10 all R. Kelly, because dude is clearly intending to run this year like he did '03, but for now I'll be more discerning with his output. As I mentioned a couple months ago, "Glamorous" just cut-and-pastes Fergie over the Polow beat and Luda verse from the Zone 4 remix of Gwen Stefani's "Luxurious," but I like that beat and verse enough that I don't mind the new lead vocal that doesn't fit quite as well (the funniest part is when Fergie layers an introspective "my daddy told me so" bit over the "IF YOU AIN'T GOT NO MONEY TAKE YOUR BROKE ASS HOME" chant). I didn't expect DJ Unk's follow-up single to do anything for me, but it's basically "Walk It Out" redux with way more interesting stuff going on in the beat. And he's bringing "jiggy" back! And I'm glad that Audioslave finally broke up, but it was nice of them to finally release a single I really like right before doing so.

Labels:

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

no, i agree, it's dubious! i just find it helpful/interesting to keep a running tally throughout the year, even if saying something is my 20th favorite single of a 3-month period isn't any kind of grand proclamation.
 
Post a Comment