the first 6 months of 2007

Albums:
1. Sloan - Never Hear The End Of It
2. Parts & Labor - Mapmaker
3. T-Pain - Epiphany
4. Eleni Mandell - Miracle Of Five
5. Prodigy - Return Of The Mac
6. Ted Leo - Living With The Living
7. Jarvis Cocker - Jarvis
8. Fall Out Boy - Infinity On High
9. Trans Am - Sex Change
10. Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero
11. Dinosaur Jr. - Beyond
12. Styles P. - The Ghost Sessions
13. Kelly Clarkson - My December
14. Rich Boy - Rich Boy
15. R. Kelly - Double Up
16. Redman - Red Gone Wild: Thee Album
17. They Might Be Giants - The Else
18. Consequence - Don’t Quit Your Day Job
19. DJ Khaled - We The Best
20. Ted Leo - Mo Livin’ EP

So far rap albums have been pretty unmemorable for me this year, although I'm entirely open to the possibility that I'm listening to the wrong albums. I think I'm comfortable in my stodgy preference towards indie rock bands I've already been listening to for 5 years or more. The new school indie shit getting a pass on Pitchfork/blogs generally scares the shit out of me. Seems like a decent year for popular music, as far as big hyped albums by folks like Fall Out Boy and Kelly Clarkson being pretty good. FOB's breakthrough album didn't have a lot going for it past the singles, but the new one's weaker singles are hiding some really ace deep cuts.

Singles:
1. Swizz Beatz - “It’s Me Bitches”
2. R. Kelly f/ T.I. and T-Pain - “I’m A Flirt (Remix)”
3. UGK f/ Outkast - “International Player’s Anthem”
4. Kelly Rowland f/ Eve - “Like This”
5. DJ Khaled f/ Akon, T.I., Rick Ross, Fat Joe, Birdman and Lil Wayne – "We Taking Over"
6. Maroon 5 - “Makes Me Wonder”
7. Fantasia - “When I See U”
8. Red Hot Chili Peppers - “Hump De Bump”
9. Amerie - “Gotta Work”
10. The Game f/ Kanye West - “Wouldn’t Get Far”
11. R. Kelly f/ Usher - “Same Girl”
12. Bobby Valentino - "Anonymous"
13. My Chemical Romance - “Teenagers”
14. Justin Timberlake - “Until The End Of Time”
15. Fergie f/ Ludacris - “Glamorous”
16. Kanye West, Rakim, Nas and KRS One - “Classic”
17. Daughtry f/ Slash - “What I Want”
18. Puddle of Mudd - “Famous”
19. Fabolous f/ Swizz Beatz - “Return of The Hustle”
20. Bow Wow f/ T Pain - “Outta My System”
21. Relient K - “Must Have Done Something Good”
22. Muse - “Starlight”
23. Paul Wall f/ Jermaine Dupri - “I’m Throwed”
24. Papa Roach - “Forever”
25. Mika - “Grace Kelly”
26. DJ Unk - “Two Step”
27. Fall Out Boy - “Thnks Fr Th Mmrs”
28. Prodigy - “Stuck On You”
29. Natasha Bedingfield - “I Wanna Have Your Babies”
30. Paramore - “Misery Business”
31. Fergie - “Big Girls Don’t Cry (Personal)”
32. Taylor Hicks - “Heaven Knows”
33. Diddy f/ Keyshia Cole, Big Boi, Yung Joc, Rich Boy, and The Game - “Last Night (Remix)”
34. Dashboard Confessional - “Stolen”
35. T.I. f/ Wyclef Jean - “You Know What It Is”
36. Young Jeezy f/ Keyshia Cole - “Dreamin’”
37. Nelly Furtado - “All Good Things”
38. Lil Wayne - “La La La”
39. Avril Lavigne - “When You’re Gone”
40. Young Jeezy f/ R. Kelly - “Go Getta”
41. Justin Timberlake - “What Goes Around...Comes Around”
42. Fall Out Boy - “This Ain’t A Scene, It’s An Arms Race”
43. Three 6 Mafia f/ Chamillionaire - “Doe Boy Fresh”
44. Audioslave - “Revelations”
45. Saliva - “Ladies & Gentlemen”
46. Katharine McPhee - "Love Story"
47. Queens of the Stone Age - "Sick Sick Sick"
48. Lumidee f/ Pitbull - Crazy”
49. Vanessa Hudgens - “Say OK”
50. Incubus - “Anna Molly”

"Flirt" and "Bitches/Snitches" keep switching places in my top two spots and I'm not sure which will win the battle eventually, or if it'll be something else entirely. My soft spot for active rock radio has really gotten to me this year, enjoying singles by Daughtry, Puddle Of Mudd, Saliva, and Papa Roach more than I expected to. The biggest revelation I've had lately is "Anonymous," which for months I dismissed as too similiar to the one TimbaHandz track I really loved, "My Love," without much else going for it. But it finally cornered me on the radio after only half-listening to it on MTV, and it's pretty fucking great, one of the first times that I've actually felt like Timbaland's recent hype hasn't been just belated acknowledgement of earlier masterpieces. R&B is completely murdering rap on the radio this year in general, though, so I shouldn't be surprised that even lame-ass Bobby V.'s got jams.

Labels:

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

I think "Icebox" is better than "Anonymous" as far as TimbaHandz slow jamz go, though it still perplexes me as to why Usher appears on remixes. Does he not realize he's a major star or something? How is it not humiliating for him to play second banana to Omarion?
 
Post a Comment