Netflix Diary

1. Black Sheep
No, not the Chris Farley movie. And I rarely say things like this, but I truly think it's a failure on the part of the viewing public that this movie is not a highly regarded instant cult classic (or at least, as popular as Shaun Of The Dead). It's a horror movie made in New Zealand that's as gleeful with its gore as one of my all-time favorites, Peter Jackson's Dead-Alive, with the twist that the mutated murderous animals are one of the most harmless species of livestock on the planet. I thought the character that grew up with a fear of sheep would be kind of a lame touch, until he uttered the hilarious line about his "completely unfounded and irrational fear that one day this is going to happen!"

2. "The Wire," Season 3
I wanted to watch the whole first four seasons before the last one started, but I fell way behind on that plan and am still working through 3 now that the series finale is over and done with. I always thought that 3 was my favorite season and I'm pretty much sure now that it was the show's peak: Stringer/Avon, all the city hall stuff, Hamsterdam, hot ass Theresa D'Agostino, etc.

3. King of New York
The early 90's were probably not the best time for crime epics (hell, this came out the same year as The Godfather: Part III), and the fact that this is one of ones that's beloved by barely anyone who isn't a rapper isn't a good sign. Still, I always wanted to see Christopher Walken's starring turn as a ruthless drug lord and he, at least, doesn't disappoint. But the thing as a whole is stiflingly stylized, the plot is dumber than rocks, and most of the supporting performances are insanely over-the-top: Larry Fishburne acting like he was made he got passed over for the role of The Joker the year before, David Caruso being a hack early on in a career of legendary hackdom. If this is the kind of crime drama that "The Wire" has forever ruined me for, so be it.

4. Transformers: The Movie
J.G. enjoyed the Michael Bay flick last summer enough that she decided to buy it on DVD recently, reminding me that I still needed to make her sit through what I still consider the 'true' Transformers movie, the one my grandmother took me and my brother to see in the theater when I was 4. It pretty much goes without saying that it has not aged well, but even some of the worst dialogue is burned into my brain ("Me Grimlock say you full of cesium salami!"). But the animation is still way way above any of the TV shows, and there are some scenes that I still think are kind of awesome. J.G. put the My Little Pony movie on our Netflix queue because I put this on.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Awesome. Then I await your review of My Little Pony. You gotta do it Al.
 
Ultra Magnus F'ing Ruled!
 
Mike, you REALLY need to see Black Sheep, it's right up your alley.
 
netflix'd and shipping next!
 
Post a Comment