Rich Boy f/ 334 Mobb - "Supafly" (mp3)

As I've said a couple times lately, major label rappers' mixtapes have been better than the major label rap albums coming out so far this year, mainly because most of those mixtapes are being treated like independent albums, with mostly original production. The only one that really exceeded my expectations, though, was Rich Boy's Bigger Than The Mayor. Like a lot of people, I took a primary interest in his self-titled debut because of the involvement of ascendant super-producer Polow Da Don, and chalked up the moderately enjoyable album to the work of a great exec producer molding an otherwise one-dimensional MC. And while Rich Boy doesn't totally step his game up on the mixtape or go further into the conscious territory of "Let's Get This Paper," Bigger manages to be a better overall listen than Rich Boy even without Polow's magic touch, which bodes well for his next album.

Although Gucci Mane and Yo Gotti and Shawty Lo are all over the mixtape with guest verses, my favorite collab is by 334 Mobb on "Supafly." 334 Mobb (who are, in the parlance of Trendsetting P, "EXTRA DICK RIDER"), are a group from Alabama that got a little buzz a few years ago before Rich Boy, I remember back then when Ethan was repping them really hard, and getting hyped when they got signed for a minute and then it never panned out, just like I get hyped whenever someone from Baltimore gets signed for a minute and then it never pans out. So it's been nice to see them keep popping up now and again, singles in my inbox here and there and now on my favorite track on one of my favorite rap releases of the year so far.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment