2005 Reconsidered

Albums:
1. Apollo Sunshine - Apollo Sunshine
2. Kanye West - Late Registration
3. Lil Wayne - Tha Carter II
4. Portastatic - Bright Ideas
5. Grand Buffet - Five Years Of Fireworks
6. System Of A Down - Mezmerize
7. Brooke Valentine - Chain Letter
8. The National - Alligator
9. Rod Lee - Vol. 5: The Official
10. Lungfish - Feral Hymns
11. Private Eleanor - No Straight Lines
12. Amerie - Touch
13. Beanie Sigel - The B.Coming
14. Darkroom Productions - Hamsterdam: The Best of Baltimore, Vol. 1
15. Various Artists - Ludacris Presents...Disturbing Tha Peace
16. Petra Haden - Petra Haden Sings: The Who Sell Out
17. Our Lady Peace - Healthy In Paranoid Times
18. The Posies - Every Kind Of Light
19. Club Queen K-Swift - Vol. 6: The Return
20. Labtekwon – Avant God
21. Mullyman - Mullymania
22. Cassidy - I'm A Hustla
23. Lake Trout - Not Them, You
24. Foo Fighters - In Your Honor
25. Black Rob - The Black Rob Report

2005 was the year I started writing for the City Paper and Stylus, so it was really the beginning of my whole career as a critic (aside from my stint at Pitchfork a few years earlier). I’m not sure if it was a weird year for me, or the music I like, or if 3-4 years is right the perfect point for you to feel kind of distanced from and slightly embarrassed about stuff without being nostalgic or having a good historical perspective about it. Lotta kinda random shit I was into that year that I'm actually still pretty into, though, this is probably my weirdest year-end list to date, then or now.

Singles
1. Three 6 Mafia f/ Young Buck and 8Ball & MJG - "Stay Fly"
2. Amerie - "1 Thing"
3. Ying Yang Twins f/ Pitbull - "Shake"
4. The Game f/ 50 Cent- "Hate It Or Love It"
5. My Chemical Romance - "Helena"
6. Fall Out Boy - "Dance Dance"
7. Lil Jon & The Eastside Boyz f/ Bo Hagon - "Get Crunk"
8. Ludacris f/ Bobby Valentino - "Pimpin' All Over The World"
9. Boyz N Da Hood - "Dem Boyz"
10. Purple Ribbon All-Stars - "Kryptonite"
11. John Legend - "Ordinary People"
12. The Killers - "Mr. Brightside"
13. Bobby Valentino f/ Lil Wayne - "Tell Me"
14. T.I. - "U Don't Know Me"
15. Snoop Dogg w/ Justin Timberlake and Charlie Wilson - "Signs"
16. Natasha Bedingfield - "These Words"
17. Mariah Carey - "Shake It Off"
18. Weezer - "Perfect Situation"
19. Ne-Yo f/ Peedi Crakk - "Stay"
20. Tony Yayo f/ 50 Cent - "So Seductive"
21. Black Eyed Peas - "My Humps"
22. Nickelback - "Photograph"
23. Kanye West – “Diamonds From Sierra Leone”
24. U2 - "City Of Blinding Lights"
25. Foo Fighters - "Best Of You"
26. The Killers - "All These Things That I've Done"
27. R. Kelly - "Trapped In The Closet"
28. Mariah Carey - "We Belong Together"
29. Ying Yang Twins - "Wait (The Whisper Song)"
30. Cassidy - "I'm A Hustla"
31. Webbie f/ Bun B - "Give Me That"
32. Jesse McCartney - "She's No You"
33. Gucci Mane f/ Young Jeezy - "Icy"
34. David Banner - "Play"
35. Juelz Santana - "Mic Check 1, 2"
36. Shakira f/ Alejandro Sanz - "La Tortura"
37. Dem Franchize Boyz f/ Jermaine Dupri, Da Brat and Bow Wow - "I Think They Like Me (So So Def Remix)"
38. Franz Ferdinand - "Do You Want To"
39. Lil Jon & The Eastside Boyz f/ Usher and Ludacris - "Lovers & Friends"
40. Tony Yayo f/ G-Unit - "I Know You Don't Love Me"
41. Black Eyed Peas - "Don't Lie"
42. Young Jeezy f/ Akon - "Soul Survivor"
43. Snoop Dogg - "Ups & Downs"
44. Young Jeezy f/ Mannie Fresh - "And Then What"
45. Mike Jones f/ Slim Thug and Paul Wall – “Still Tippin’”
46. Kelly Clarkson - "Behind These Hazel Eyes"
47. Nivea f/ Lil Jon and the Youngbloodz - "Okay"
48. Kanye West f/ Adam Levine of Maroon 5 - "Heard 'Em Say"
49. T.I. - "ASAP"
50. Pitbull f/ Lil Jon - "Toma"

This was a pretty good year for radio, although not all of it has aged super well. I’ve never been the biggest 50 Cent fan but this was probably his best year as a hitmaker quality-wise (at least, for everything but The Massacre singles). And in light of how I’ve felt about his last couple records, I really have to put this year up as Kanye’s peak as a solo artist, although I hope he makes something I enjoy again someday. Mr. Collipark killed it that year, Jeezy killed it that year, a lot of the snap/crunk hits have aged well, but I’m still pretty so-so on most of the new school Houston shit that blew up that year.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment