Movie Diary

a) Earth
J.G. and I were big fans of the "Planet Earth" series, so we got good and geeked out to go see the movie version when it came out on Earth Day, even if it's probably got a bit of redundant footage, and the James Earl Jones narration doesn't add that much value (guy is a pro, no doubt, but I think I would've preferred the Patrick Stewart voiceover of the U.K. release). Still, I've been watching nature shows my whole life and this is epic grade A shit. The birds of paradise plumage and dancing montage was totally insane.

b) Over Her Dead Body
There was a weird period a couple years back where everyone loved Paul Rudd for all the hilarious supporting roles he did in movies, and was puzzled why he only seemed to get lead roles in lame rom coms, at least up until Role Models finally let him headline something decent. This is one of those movies, and it's actually kind of clever and funny at times, almost living up to the kind of hoary fantasy comedy of yesteryear vibe of the premise, but ultimately is still kind of crap, because Rudd is again left to be the straight man while Eva Longoria and some weird-looking lady named Lake Bell are left to delivery most of the comedic dialogue.

c) The Jane Austen Book Club
J.G. was watching this on cable one day, and since I'm not one to turn my nose up at a decent rom com, I ended up getting into it, too. I took a Jane Austen course in college, and was one of the only guys in the class, so I kind of identified with the male lead, even, and knew the books well enough to catch most of the references. The way they threaded the story with parallels to Austen books in both overt and kind of subtle unstated ways was nice, kinda let you enjoy it on both levels. Also, Maggie Grace: never did anything for me as a blonde, but blazing hot as a brunette.

d) I Know Who Killed Me
I probably would've been more bowled over by just how bizarre this movie is if I hadn't read the epic Four Four post about it, but I probably wouldn't have thought to even try watching it if I hadn't read that first. But anyway everything about this, from the color scheme to the dialogue to the music to the plot, is just bananas in a way that I almost can't believe it wasn't intended as camp. It's nice that Lohan made something this interesting on her way down, instead of just more crap like Georgia Rule and "Ugly Betty" guest spots.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment