The 2009 Remix Report Card, Vol. 10

"Better Believe It (Remix)" by Lil Boosie featuring Bun B, Yo Gotti, Trae and Foxx
Since remixes are usually an excuse to upgrade the starpower on a song, it's always kinda weird when the remix is a total downgrade, in this case from Jeezy to a few more B-list regional stars and from Webbie to a less famous Trill Ent. labelmate. Still, this was a pretty low key song to begin with and making it this kind of low key posse cut with a barrage of capable but not flashy MCs works for it, with Foxx bringing the energy up a little bit at the end.
Best Verse: Lil Boosie
Overall Grade: B+

"H.A.T.E.U. (Remix)" by Mariah Carey featuring OJ Da Juiceman, Big Boi, Gucci Mane and Jermaine Dupri
I guess the "My Boo" beatjack is a good look, because the original "H.A.T.E.U." is basically a tuneless turd, but I don't totally understand all the fuss about this track.
Best Verse: Gucci Mane
Overall Grade: B

"I'm Good (Remix)" by The Clipse featuring Rick Ross
I don't get the sense that this song is really highly regarded but it was one of my favorite radio jams of the summer, nice breezy feel, pretty decent flows. It worked just right as it was, though, I can't think of anyone I'd really want to hear on a remix, but it's definitely not Ross. I dig the chop on the beat and the Pharrell vocal at the very end, cool way to wrap up the track.
Best Verse: Malice
Overall Grade: C+

"Number One (Remix)" by R. Kelly featuring T-Pain and Keyshia Cole
It's been a good long while since T-Pain stunted on a remix but the way he writes around the theme of the song is pretty entertaining and I lol'd at "I'ma put my BMI all over your ASCAP." It's funny that R. has so comprehensively melded R&B into the remix game that he can do a track like this with no rappers on it and nobody bats an eye. The second verse he does at the end as it starts to fade out is cool but really the guy sounds terrible with AutoTune and needs to stop.
Best Verse: T-Pain
Overall Grade: B-

"She Wolf (Remix)" by Shakira featuring T-Pain
This seemed like a bad idea as soon as I learned of its existence, but the song always seemed a little underwritten and anemic anyway so I like the way the beat is all pumped up on this version while still chopping up the better parts from the original track. When Pain hits the doubletime in the second half of his verse it's actually pretty dope and he does an AutoTuned "awoooo," which is hilarious. Overall it's still really weird hearing him on this song, though.
Best Verse: n/a
Overall Grade: B+

"Thinkin' About You (Remix)" by Mario featuring Yo Gotti
It's weird that The Runners produced such a pretty song that I actually had a hard time picturing a rapper guesting on it, and even though Yo Gotti kinda kicks a cool fast flow I've never heard from him before, it's still just a bad fit. Great song, though.
Best Verse: n/a
Overall Grade: C
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment