Narrowcast Officially Endorses a Candidate for DEWmocracy 2010



One of the very first posts on this blog years ago was about how I get weirdly geeked out about new and/or limited edition soda flavors, so of course I got irrationally excited about Mountain Dew's latest DEWmocracy promotion, in which customers vote for one of 3 new flavors to become permanently available. And I mean, like, I got a 12-pack of each and really thought about which soda I wanted to root for. I don't even drink regular Mountain Dew that often (although I'm not revolted by it like some people, it just isn't a great everyday soda in my opinion), but I appreciate that the brand is always throwing goofy new ideas at the wall.

Interestingly, my opinions of these flavors diverged pretty widely from my expectations. The one I was immediately most interested in, and bought first, was Distortion, the "lime blasted" green Dew, since I've always been into putting a slice of lime in soda when it's available. And it was alright, but really not that different from the original. Then, I tried White Out, the "smooth citrus" Dew, and it really just isn't as good in theory as what I imagined it would taste like. I thought it'd be really light and refreshing, but it's just kind of acidic and bland. Surprisingly, it was Typhoon, the "punch of tropical" Dew that I ended up really liking. Even my wife, who usually doesn't drink Mountain Dew, really loved it.

So I finally got around to going to the DEWmocracy website and voting, and it turns out that voting closes at midnight on Monday night, and Typhoon is trailing White Out by a few points (unsurprisingly, Distortion is doing Ross Perot numbers). Hilariously, MD even did a electoral map showing which states favor which soda, and the map is all white, with only 5 red states and just Oklahoma going for Distortion. So I'm preparing myself for the disappointment of Typhoon probably narrowly losing this context and disappearing from store shelves (in anyone knows any stores in Maryland that still have it in stock, seriously, let me know), but I thought I would say something here, since I so rarely discuss politics.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment