The 2011 Remix Report Card, Vol. 1

"Black & Yellow (G-Mix)" by Wiz Khalifa featuring Snoop Dogg, Juicy J and T-Pain
At first when I saw the lineup for this I thought it was a pretty geographically diverse group of artists for a remix of a hometown anthem, but it's not like there are any other big name Pittsburgh rappers Wiz could've gotten on this, I guess (although I'd love to see him do a track with Grand Buffet just for how surreal that would be). I like the little subtle changes to the beat, and pretty much all 4 of these guys do exactly what you'd expect them to do, no more, no less, and kind of out of default I think I like autopilot Juicy J best.
Best Verse: Juicy J
Overall Grade: B

"Kush (Remix)" by Dr. Dre featuring Game, Snoop Dogg and Akon
Zzzzzzzzz oh what? Did somebody say something? I had the white noise generator I sleep to set on its "Aftermath 2005" setting.
Best Verse: n/a
Overall Grade: F

"Lay It Down (Remix)" by Lloyd featuring Young Jeezy and R. Kelly
I never got really into this song, Lloyd's voice sounds really strained and shrill on the chorus, but I like the vibe of the remix, especially his hilarious spoken intro. Jeezy's an odd fit but he works, and it's always fun to watch Kelly deign to bless a young R&B cat's track and kind of good-naturedly show them how it's done.
Best Verse: R. Kelly
Overall Grade: A-

"Loving You No More (Remix)" by Diddy-Dirty Money featuring T-Pain and Gucci Mane
Drake's verse was pretty much the only thing I didn't like about the original, so swapping him out for 2 guys I like a lot more, even if they're both kinda past their respective peaks, is right up my alley. Pain's a little annoying, but Gucci sounds surprisingly comfortable on this beat and I love how he calls Diddy "Puff Daddy."
Best Verse: Gucci Mane
Overall Grade: A-

"One In A Million (Remix)" by Ne-Yo featuring Fabolous and Jadakiss
It feels like this is the billionth R&B radio jam these 2 guys have hopped on the remix of, but they're both pretty consistent at delivering good verses on those, so I'm not at all sick of it yet. Fab's a little subpar, though, and Jada ain't much better.
Best Verse: Jadakiss
Overall Grade: C

"Rap Song (So So Def Remix)" by T-Pain featuring Jermaine Dupri
A posse cut with whoever else is on So So Def now wouldn't be that exciting, but who thought a remix with just a verse from JD was a good idea? I gotta admit I kinda dig this anyway, though.
Best Verse: n/a
Overall Grade: B-
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment