Monthly Report: February Singles



1. The Foo Fighters - "Rope"
Even if the Foo Fighters haven't really made a solid album since the '90s, they've remained a really solid singles act with songs like "The Pretender" and "Best of You" and "Times Like These" and "No Way Back" and "D.O.A." and "Long Road To Ruin" and on and on, and while it's too early to say where "Rope" falls in that pantheon, it's really just sounded initially fantastic, a really ingeniously constructed groove that's a little bit off from the formula of the band's previous hits. Who knows, they might actually have a good album this time around too (although I'll believe that when I hear it).

2. Lady Gaga - "Born This Way"
I kind of feel lame defending this song because I don't necessarily disagree with any of the reasons people hate on it: the brazen "Express Yourself" ripoff (which I don't mind mainly because I love "Express Yourself), the pandering pro-gay message, the lyrics that are cringe-inducing even when they're not using some sketchy racial terminology. But the song just works for me, especially after fourfour pointed out its similarity to "Born To Be Alive"; I love how overstuffed and frantic it sounds, and that great a cappella I WAS BORN THIS WA-HEY breakdown at the end. Gaga better have at least 2 singles better than this off the new album, though, or she's seriously dropping the ball.

3. Travis Porter f/ Too $hort - "Bring It Back"
I've never really known what to make of Travis Porter, it always seemed to me like the goofy name/image was kind of covering up a really bland anonymous approach to ATL swag rap, and their big breakthrough radio hit "Make It Rain" didn't really contradict that impression. That song grew on me slightly over time, but I could never get past how lame it was to have a less catchy song called "Make It Rain" like 4 years after the Lil Wayne/Fat Joe joint. But "Bring It Back" builds on what I did like about "Make It Rain" and adds some more, especially the Too $hort guest spot and that little squirmy synth line on the chorus.

4. My Chemical Romance - "SING"
I generally enjoy MCR more in frantic barnburner mode than in midtempo power ballad mode (my favorite song, "Helena," is basically a really fast power ballad), but this song has really grown on me as it's become ubiquitous on rock radio. Since the cast of "Glee" recently covered this song it's of course quickly earned the distinction of charting higher in that version than the original, which is a pretty standard thing to happen on the pop charts in 2011 but feels kind of surreal for MCR.

5. Snoop Dogg - "Wet"
I enjoy how this song uses almost the exact same wet/sweat switches for the clean version as David Banner's "Play," and like that song you still get a sense of exactly how filthy the song is even int he clean edit. Even better, the song was apparently written for Prince William's bachelor party. I kind of hate to give props to something produced by the Cataracts, but whatever, this is a joint.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment